radian... flying ... 2 kids... dilema!!

corrielainedd

Flying from KY to Denver on Saturday. Me and my 22m dd and my 3.5yr old dd. Visiting my parents for 2wks, and they have a volvo sedan. Bringing both of my Radians to fit all of us in their car.
Dd1 has a seat on the plane, dd2 is babe in arms.
Radian for dd1 fits on my stroller, which i plan to wheel it and my carryone bags with. Dd1 has a backpack leash to walk with me.
Dd2 will piggy back in my Boba carrier.
Question is... i dont have a travel case for the 2nd radian, and carrying it to the plane...i dont have enough arms!!

What to do!!! Im afraid it will get damaged if checked w the baggage!

ADS

Nimommyof2

If you don't have a seat could they just purchase you cheap small seat like the Titan or scenera? Someone else might know a couple of other options

corrielainedd

If you don't have a seat could they just purchase you cheap small seat like the Titan or scenera? Someone else might know a couple of other options

They do have a car seat (cant remember off the top of my head what it is) my sisyer used it for her Dd when she went last month, but its bulky :(
Id rather not buy a seat if possible... and i hate to go from the safety of a radian.. to a scenera (not that they are unsafe).

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
An unchecked scerena is much safer then your radian after being checked. If I flew and had to check a seat I would throw it away when I got home. I'm on my phone and can't link but there is a video.on youtube of airline workers throwing seats. Its called mistreated luggage or something likd that.

Nimommyof2

I had a airline break my radian when I checked it thats why I suggested what I did. Since than my rule is if the kid isn't sitting in a seat need a carseat to meet me.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd bring the Radian on board with you, and buy another ticket so you can use it. Or leave babe home. It's not safe to have a lap baby for your baby's sake (they're either your airbag or a projectile), or for those around you (weight times speed equals force, and a 20 pound baby at 150 mph is 3,000 pounds of force heading to the back of someone else's head).

What would you have done if your baby was two? Whatever answer that is, apply it now, since the AAP, FAA, NTSB, and technicians don't recommend lap babies.

Then you also don't need to worry about your Radian.

The Radian does fit in the overhead. Checking it means it's crashed. Or it can be lost.

It'll also be easier for you to not have to share your three cubic inches with a child who doesn't understand, "The seatbelt light is on, everything has to be restrained now so we can take off/land, please don't get up, stand up, wiggle, play with your sibling, or anything else." Eating can be a challenge as well. Definitely bring a sippy cup for both kids and a water bottle for you, that way you won't get drink spilled on you since they only give either cans or big open cups that seem to want to tip over anyway. I do that, even without Laine in my lap. I just hand them her cup for juice/milk, and my bottle for as much water as they can give me.

Did you know the safest place for your little one during turbulence or an emergency is in a government-approved child restraint system (CRS) or device, not on your lap?

That's directly from the FAA. http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/

What would you have done if your child was two when you made this trip? Either not go, fly different times, or buy a ticket? Flying at different times is probably not an option right now, since you've already booked the tickets. So either do you cancel or buy another ticket? Call the airline and tell them you would like an infant in seat, and can they offer you any discounts? Maybe you won't have to pay 100%. It's worth a phone call.

Or I'd bring the Radian on board and hope for an empty seat in which to use it. And if not, stow it overhead.

Please buy a ticket next time. Protect the others on board.

Wendy

jnamommy

:yeahthatlove: to everything that Wendy said.

Also, you can get two radians on board. It may not be easy, but it is doable. Get backpack straps, and fold one up and wear it one your back. Put baby on your front. Or keep baby on your back, and use one radian with only one strap over your shoulder (purse style). Buy a wheeled luggage cart and bungee the second radian to it - it should wheel right down the aisle of the plane.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC