Convertible Car Seat Recommendations for '01 BMW 330Ci, '07 Mazada 3

Louie

I was looking at the Britax Boulevard 70 for the Mazda 3, but I believe it is too big to use rear facing in the BMW. DD rides in both pretty equally.

Even with her infant car seat (Chicco Keyfit 30), no one else rides in the front seat of the BMW, so that isn't a problem. The Keyfit had to be installed in the passenger rear side, to allow me enough room (in the middle put me too close to the steering wheel). I just want to be able to put her in the car seat without having to climb into the back seat as well.

The Mazda3 will be installed in the middle and the Keyfit 30 worked well, my wife and I could ride together in the front seat.

Thanks

ADS

MomToEliEm

How old is your DD and how much does she weigh?

I tried searching the boards for your particular vehicle but wasn't finding much. There are some seats that work better for small cars, though the recommendations might depend a lot on your child's size.

HappyHoo

I have an 06 Mazda3 and the classic Britax Marathon (which I believe is taller than the newer ones) fit great on the passenger side. I had more room with it installed v. the infant seat.

I now have a Radian installed there - without the angle adjuster only those 5'4" and below can fit in the front seat pretty much. But with the angle adjuster I'm comfortable in the passenger seat and I'm 5'7". Before I was planning on turning my DS FF at 3 in my car b/c I didn't want to lose my passenger seat for so long - but now with the angle adjuster I'm keeping him RF still.

Most convertible seats will take up less room than the infant seat - even if they look bigger - b/c they usually install more upright which is fine for an older child.

Louie

Most convertible seats will take up less room than the infant seat - even if they look bigger - b/c they usually install more upright which is fine for an older child.

I think this is my problem, the convertible seats do look bigger.

Last edited:

KaiLing

I've had a britax, a MyRide, a coccoro outboard passenger side in my 2005 Mazda 3. I couldn't get the Radian in there pre-angle adjuster because it would recline and touch the passenger seat (which isn't allowed). I don't usually use the middle seat since we have a tall driver and we can't get much there at all. I wouldn't recommend a coccoro for that size kid.

And even though Mazda allows the use of center LATCH, you have to be sure that the car seat company allows non-standard spacing to use LATCH in the middle, or use the seat belt (which is kind of funky).

Louie

I think I've narrowed down my selection to the following 3: Britax Boulevard 70, Graco MyRide 65 (with Surround), and Diono Radian RXT. Opinions?

Louie

Just to tidy up this thread for anyone in the future. I tired the Graco MyRide 65 with Safety Surround in the Mazda3 and it was a tight fit. A 6' driver can drive it with it in there, but not as far back as they probably want. No way it was going to work in the BMW 330Ci.

I ended up with Britax Boulevard 70 for both. It fits great and there is actually more room in the 330 for a front seat passenger than there was with a Chicco Keyfit 30 behind the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC