Turbobooster require head (shoulder? back?) support?

julia94115

Was out for a walk in my neighborhood this evening and I noticed a turbo booster in the back seat of a Jeep- the "real" Jeeps- with plastic windows and flimsy plastic doors, etc. The back seat only came up to a little bit/barely higher than midway of the TB seat! First off, I just could not even imagine putting my child, ANY child there! I do not even want to think about even the tiniest collision with a child in that position!
And, I forgot what my second point was......:eek:

ADS

tam_shops

**Thought** Graco, Britax and Clek do not require head support.

Know SKJP, Diono and Apex do require head rest.

Think Dorel (and another one) suggest it??

The only one I'd feel comfortable with nothing behind it would be a Clek b/c it has metal posts for the head rest. Otherwise, of course you have to check and confirm with the manufacture and/or manual...

I'm glad you brought this up, my SIL has a jeep like this and my oldest goes occasionally in this Maestro. Perhaps his GN would be better. One of the reasons I bought the Monterey was b/c her car (and ours) don't have head rests and while I knew Graco was approved, it just didn't look sturdy enough for me...

Kind of also wonder about the roll bar and if the front (despite an airbag) would be safer!?

tam

julia94115

That back seat is SO low!

Hmmm, yeah, I don't know what would be the safest seat for back there. And like you mentioned, that roll bar is right next to the seat (maybe a hair to the front). It just looks really scary.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Graco does not require support. I'm not saying it's not ideal to have support when possible, but it's not required by the manufacturer in this instance.

Dorel does. Diono does.

Most do not. What you're comfortable with as a parent is up to you for the ones that don't. I'm of the opinion that while some are going to perform better than others, of course, and ideally you'd use one that's structurally reinforced (Oobr, or maybe a Frontier in booster mode? That last depending on height) ideal isn't going to happen in every situation and something is better than nothing, in this case.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC