Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Tell Me About NHTSA Ratings

So I was reading the NHTSA ratings and wondering if the CPS techs on here really believe that these ratings are worth their weight. From my unprofessional non-technician perspective the ratings almost seem arbitrary to me in the first place if the seats are safe to begin with. What do I need to know about these ratings? http://www.nhtsa.gov/nhtsa_eou/info.jsp?type=all

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

I'm not a tech, but i don't agree with all of those ease of use ratings. I've learned some installation techniques here that make some seats easier to install and use than before I found this site.

Is there a particular seat you're interested in purchasing?

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

I take it with a grain of salt, especially since they rated seats very differently; ie the same Graco seat with different covers had two very different ratings.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

Re: Tell Me About NHTSA Ratings

Nope not looking for a seat. Just researching safety standards. I found this board recently and decided to become more aware of the different bits of safety info out there. These NHTSA ratings seem odd to me so I wanted advice. They almost have a Consumer Reports flavor to them because IMO it does depend on the installer for how simple something is to use/install.

The ratings you're looking at aren't safety ratings, just ease of use. If a seat is easier to use correctly then it's more likely to be installed and used correctly. I don't agree with all the ratings. For example, I find it very easy to buckle a child rear facing into an Evenflo Triumph Advance, yet it only has 3 stars in that category.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

Re: Tell Me About NHTSA Ratings

The TF is also really highly rated, and I HATED installing that thing.
    I wouldn't think much of it. Like PPs said, it's more how your car and the car seat are going to mesh... not every seat fits well in every car.
    Kate // CPST, SK Senior Checker, & Mom to M (12/2010)