secondary rf seat for tall baby in honda fit

Elfina

We are looking for a budget-friendly convertible seat for a Honda Fit. It will primarily be used for short rides to/from daycare. Our new Graco size4me fits well, but we'd prefer to spend less since the seat won't be used very often. DS is long and lean (31 in and 21 lbs at 10 mos) and we would like to RF as long as possible. I'm considering the Cosco Scenera at walmart, but I wonder if it will fit in the Fit and if DS will reach the 36" RF height limit too soon. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It'll fit. I've put a Radian and a True Fit in the Fit, with the passenger seat all the way back. Dorel has stated that the lines don't need to be level to the ground for an older child, that the seat passes testing at 30 degrees. Also the manual states 36" or head 1" from the top of the shell, I believe, and many of us would go by the 1".

Wendy

Elfina

Thanks, Wendy. Can you point me towards anything official from the manufacturer that states that it's ok to pass the height limit and/or reduce the incline angle? The most recent manual I can find doesn't seem to imply that there's any wiggle room on either: http://www.coscojuvenile.com/usa/eng/DJGFiles/ProductDocuments/4358-3614F US Scenera.pdf

I know that there is a lot of knowledge on this forum and I hope it doesn't seem like I don't trust you! I'd just hate to do something different from the manual because I saw it on the internet, kwim? I hope that doesn't come off the wrong way.

Are there any other seats you would recommend? Thanks!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The information we have on the angle comes from an online session (webinar, I believe) with the engineer who grudgingly stated that yes, the seats did pass testing at 30 degrees. But they like it at 45. And never told us why. Their newer seats (such as the Pria and Apt and Alpha Elite 65) have dual angle lines. I had heard all of their 2012 seats would get the new lines, but haven't seen them on a bunch of seats yet. And that in the US their seats are structurally exact to the 2011 line, just the new lines on the side. So between all of that, I'm pretty comfortable telling parents that going more upright is an option they may choose.

As for the height, the same seat has had a 32" limit (Canada), a 36" limit (US 35 pound rear facing version) and 40" limit (40 pound rear facing version). Now there may be a slight difference in how the 35RF and 40RF seats are made, but still, they seem to have rather arbitrary numbers. The 32" in Canada went away. Also, manuals such as the Complete Air mention 40" or head even with the top of the shell. Many techs would say to do whichever comes first. The Keyfit manual says 30" or 1" of shell above the head, but most techs are fine going straight to 1" no matter what it says. So I'm fine going with the 1" or head even with the shell, since apparently that's been tested in that seat and it works. Overall height is hard since a 36" child may have a 16" torso, or they may have a 12" torso. And that affects how high their head is. So to me, the more important number in a height restriction is not the overall height, but the 1" or head even with the shell.

Wendy

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
You won't find anything from the manufacturer stating that it's ok to exceed the height limit or change the angle.

They did say that the seat passes testing at 30 degrees but does better at 45. I can't imagine that being the case, but that's what they say, so there might be some truth to it.

As for exceeding the height limit, yes the manual does mention the top of the shell, but I believe that's either a mistake or a safeguard. I don't believe they intend for children to use the seat that long, or else they wouldn't have given it a 40" limit as well. Some manufacturers say it's ok to exceed the standing height limit as long as a child has room. Dorel does not.

I would be especially concerned about a child being "too tall" in that particular seat because I would worry about over-rotation.

You may certainly make the parental decision to ignore the instructions, but as a technician I can't recommend it.

Elfina

Thanks so much for all of the additional info. Are there any other seats that you can think of that might meet our needs? I like that the Apt has both rf angle options and higher limits, but it seems so big (wide). The Tribute seems very similar to the Scenera.

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Thanks, Wendy. Can you point me towards anything official from the manufacturer that states that it's ok to pass the height limit and/or reduce the incline angle? The most recent manual I can find doesn't seem to imply that there's any wiggle room on either: http://www.coscojuvenile.com/usa/eng/DJGFiles/ProductDocuments/4358-3614F US Scenera.pdf

In general, it is not ever suggested that you ignore any guidance from the owner's manual in terms of limits or installation requirements. While sometimes these limits seem arbitrary, and in some cases may simply be somewhat arbitrary due to a federal standard, we never know for sure the reasons behind the instructions. Unless you receive something in writing from a company that allows use of a product outside the instructions, any choice to vary from the guidance in the manual is strictly "at-your-own-risk" as a parental choice based on other factors.

Unfortunately, as certified technicians, we are always supposed to adhere to the owner's manuals, even in those few cases where an exception may seem like a safer option for a child. Sometimes, we can guide parents to make such a choice on their own after doing the necessary research, but usually it is best to simply find another product or switch to another mode of use, rather than use one contrary to its instructions.

Elfina

Just wanted to update this thread for anyone who searches in the future. We tried the Evenflo Tribute in the Fit and installed behind the passenger seat with the line level to the ground, the passenger seat is unusable. It also does not fit in the middle seat without touching the seats. It would fit fine at a more upright angle, but the manual doesn't mention that use. I think we're going to shell out the $ for a second size4me (once they're back in stock at BBB) because it fits with no trouble.

U

Unregistered

It'll fit. I've put a Radian and a True Fit in the Fit, with the passenger seat all the way back. Dorel has stated that the lines don't need to be level to the ground for an older child, that the seat passes testing at 30 degrees. Also the manual states 36" or head 1" from the top of the shell, I believe, and many of us would go by the 1".

Wendy

My wife and I are shopping for a convertible car seat and also own a Honda Fit. We really like either the Diono Radian RXT or R100, but can't find one in our area to try in the car. I really appreciate the information in this forum, but wanted to be extra sure I wouldn't be making a mistake buying one of these sight unseen.

Do the Radian car seats installed rear facing behind the passenger seat in a Honda Fit with an angle adjuster allow for the passenger seat to move all the way back?

whitneyg

My wife and I are shopping for a convertible car seat and also own a Honda Fit. We really like either the Diono Radian RXT or R100, but can't find one in our area to try in the car. I really appreciate the information in this forum, but wanted to be extra sure I wouldn't be making a mistake buying one of these sight unseen.

Do the Radian car seats installed rear facing behind the passenger seat in a Honda Fit with an angle adjuster allow for the passenger seat to move all the way back?

We have a Radian RF with the angle adjuster behind the passenger seat in a 2011 Fit. The seat cannot go all the way back, but I an 5'8" and I can ride in the passenger seat very comfortably.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC