My love of harnessed seats has been reinforced this week

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have kept the kids in my life harnessed as long as possible because... it is easier for me. :eek: I do use boosters if necessary, but prefer harnessed seats because I find them much easier to use. :eek:

This past week, however, I have had to use boosters a lot and I have been reminded of why I so very much prefer harnessed seats.

Case One: Almost-eight-year-old child, about 65 pounds, backless Turbo, Subaru Outback. What a pain it was to get the seatbelt buckled each and every time. Ugh! The booster kept slipping over the female end of the buckle, making it a total pain.

Case Two: Five-year-old child, about 45 pounds, Parkway SG, Toyota 4Runner. Trying to "install" this seat in the center so two adults could sit in each outboard seat was impossible. The booster sat OVER the female end for the passenger-side outboard seat. We could scoot the booster over, buckle the adult, then slide the booster back. It was a pain. When we moved the booster to an outboard position, it became difficult to buckle.

At one point, we were able to get two kids in a five-point harness faster than we were able to get one kid in a booster. :(

I don't usually have this much difficulty with boosters, but I still think this was reinforcement of why I prefer harnessed seats. :eek: I am not looking forward to the day that all the kids are in boosters. :(

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Yep. I have been booster training Patrick (he's 5) and he does great. Except he can't buckle himself. If he's in a FR85 he can buckle himself up. I briefly thought it would be easier to have the boys in boosters for the drop off line in school. Nope. Harness is easier. And I don't have to get out of the car, which they don't let you do anyways...so it's pretty much a no brainer what they will be riding in.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Lol! A friend of mine moved her dd to a booster as soon as she hit 4yo. She said it was because she was tired of having to crawl to her third row to buckle her harness. Two weeks after she moved her, she broke her wrist when she slipped trying to buckle the booster between two others. I laughed out loud when she told me what happened. I felt a little bad I did, but it WAS really funny.

finn

I must say I prefer the booster, ds (5.5) can buckle himself every single time, the straps or his case, seat belt doesn't get twisted & I don't have to do anything to install it in anyone elses car other than putting the seat belt in the guides. Ds even knows to pull the lap belt tight, then the shoulder belt, so its snug & he can do it faster than the time it takes me to get dd into her seat :love:

libranbutterfly

My SIL and I were discussing this the other day when she insisted on boostering her 3 yr old for vacation. She thought it would be easier to fit 3 across with all boosters. Yeah right. Couldnt even get 3 boosters to fit, so i put lexi in the radian in her car (she was riding with me but had to switch for this three across) she still wanted matt in a booster, so i just laughed every time she scraped her hand reaching between radiaan and booster to buckle him. He rides harnessed with me and will for at least another year (he will be 4 next week)

Sent from my VS920 4G using Car-Seat.Org

Kat_Momof3

I think it just depends on the child (who should obviously be 5-7 preferably), the vehicle, the seatbelt geometry, and who is riding where.

hedgefun

I agree that the turbo + subaru is a pain! I've only done it once, an I'm going to buy something else beforei have to do it again.

skylinphoto

When I moved my ds to a booster at 5.5 yrs old, it was so much easier. He's never been able to buckle/unbuckle a harness seat but has no problem buckling his seatbelt in a booster. He's almost 6.5 now and buckles up just as fast as me and dh. :)

Boot

I feel the same way about rear facing. So much easier. However, to me, having DS in a booster is WAY easier than a harness. He gets himself in and out beautifully whereas he couldn't undo the nauti harness himself. Plus the turbo is so light and easy to move between car. But we have captains seats. If we had a 3 across situation I might feel differently.

cookie123

I much prefer them doing up the harness themselves. The big kids couldn't do boosters for a long time. Especially with me in the tight 3 across. Now that they're in low back boosters, I don't have to help often but sometimes Hannah needs help getting the belt in the belt guide of the BB. I've tied one of dh's athletic socks around the female end of Brett's which has made it much easier for him, as it was hard to get it buckled when it kept sliding in it's hole.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Thanks, everyone, for not making me feel like a freak. :eek:

The Parkway in the center of the 4Runner was awful, but that might have been because the child using it couldn't buckle himself at all. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC