2001 Dodge durango-no middle seat option

U

Unregistered

I have recently purchased a 2001 dodge durango. We have 3 rows of seats and I an not sure where to place the car seat. The second row has a cup holder that does not lock down-so when you stop quickly it could easily flop up or down. I don't feel comfortable about installing the car seat here. However, I have also heard it isn't wise to install a car seat in the middle of the 3rd row due to its lack of impact area (plus, it is so far in the back!). So what is safer- chosing the left or right side of the 2nd row or the middle of the 3rd?

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Have you checked the vehicle manual? If it doesn't prohibit installing a car seat in that location, try it out. Often, after you get the child seat installed firmly in front of the arm rest, it is held in place and can no longer be pulled down. There are no documented cases of injury due to a fold down arm rest interacting with a rear facing safety seat.

If you do find that the instruction manual prohibits installing a safety seat in that position or if the arm rest still flops down freely after you have the seat properly installed* in that position, then you'll have to use an outboard position. Statistically, both sides are virtually identical when it comes to side impacts, so you'll just have to look at which side is more convenient. If you frequenly parallel park on busy streets, you'll probably want to install it on the curb-side (usually passenger side, unless it's a one-way street like I live on). If you don't, you'll probably find the driver's side is more convenient, because that's the side the driver is on anyway. Sometimes a rear facing seat will take up extra space so the seat in front of it has to be moved forward. You'll need to leave at least 10" between the driver/passenger and a frontal airbag, so that's something else to consider.

*A properly installed seat will move no more than 1" from side to side or from front to back when gripped at the belt path and tugged firmly. (You're trying to move the seat, not rip it from the vehicle.) Most rear facing seats will "flip" toward the back of the car if you push up on the top of the seat. That's called "cocooning", and it's normal. A certified Child Passenger Safety Technician can assist you if you have difficulty getting a good install in your vehicle.

U

Unregistered

I have a 2001 Dodge Durango and I have my 18- month daughters carseat in the center of the second row seat in front of the cup holders. When the holders are in the upright position with the carseat in front of them it will be fine. Trust me I was rear ended last week and the car seat did not move. I have had my Durango since 2000 and my son was in that spot before my daughter's birth. His car seat is now positioned right next hers and we have had no problems.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC