Talk to me about lap babies while flying.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Still my favorite reference to "lap babies" and why NOT to have one. Just the right amount of irony/sarcasm:

"The reason I took my baby with me on business class is that airlines have a crazy rule that instead of paying for another seat, you can put a kid under 2 on your lap for an entire domestic flight. They won't let you keep your purse on your lap during takeoff and landing, since it might turn into a deadly projectile, but an infant is apparently soft enough to ricochet harmlessly off passenger after passenger. Once his skull ossifies over his soft spots, he's got to buckle up."

Joel Stein http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2081912,00.html

ADS

kawad1

Traveling with kids can be such a challenge. I recently flew my myself with 3 boys from California to Massachusetts. It was tough and at one point I even got in an argument with a couple who were upset with the sounds (not crying, just baby sounds) my 18 month old was making. But I think being with other adults will certainly help lighten the load. after this trip I really wished there was a family section of a plane. We were in first class since we flew on miles. I guess the couple was horrified that 3 young kids could have a seat in first. My husband told me I should have put the 3 y.o. behind them and let him kick their seat the whole time ;-).

For seats.... I have a 5 1/2, 3 1/2 and 18 moth old. I brought a Roundabout attached to a gogo kidz for the baby. I packed a RSTV and bubblebum for the older two. I took the chance that my luggage would arrive and packed the vest and bubble in my checked luggage since I had to carry everything as well as get the kids thru the airport (plus it was just to visit family so I was mentally prepared to make a run to target if my stuff didn't arrive). The flight and getting thru the airport was tough, but the vest and bubblebum made things MUCH easier.

TXmom2

Definitely worth it to buy a seat for the babe. Better for safety, Better for bringing a carseat along. Better for the extra baggage allowments.

As far as portable sleeping arrangements, I've used a couple with success:

The Pea Pod Plus by Kidco worked well for my older daughter in several situations. We used it traveling at 10 months and at 2 yrs old, as well as at the hospital when my youngest was born. Very portable & sets up quickly & easily.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=2010-Kidco-PeaPod-Plus-Portable-Infant-Travel-Bed-Tent-

Also, We used a travel cot a few months ago with my (then) 12 month old. It fit perfectly between the bed & the wall & we wedged a suitcase at the end. Since I was sleeping in the bed right next to her, I sould see & hear her with no issues.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Regalo-My-Cot-Travel-Bed/4433186

both were preferable (at least to us) over a hotel "guess what you'll get" crib or the pack & play. ;)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
TXmom2 said:
The Pea Pod Plus by Kidco worked well for my older daughter in several situations. We used it traveling at 10 months and at 2 yrs old, as well as at the hospital when my youngest was born. Very portable & sets up quickly & easily.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=2010-Kidco-PeaPod-Plus-Portable-Infant-Travel-Bed-Tent-
I just wanted to caution anyone interested in buying one of these. There has been more than one infant that has suffocated against the lower non-mesh side area of these. The most recent (that I've read about) was a 5 month old that died around last Christmas I think it was. The autopsy showed that the infant died of positional asphyxiation I think it was called. Mom found the baby dead the next morning against side of the PeaPod. :crying:

Google should easily bring up some info about this, especially on the 5 month old. One can find the report to the CPSC I think it is confirming the info so it appears to be legitimate and not just a rumour.

My research on the PeaPods led me to pick up a GuavaFamily GoCrib instead as it has complete mesh sides; no nylon at all for baby to roll into.

If anyone has trouble finding the information, let me know and I'll dig up the links. (5am here and I'm up feeding TechnoBaby and falling asleep while typing)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

TXmom2

:( 5 months is way too young for the Pea Pod!

Thanks for the warning TechnoGranola.
I was nervous with my 10 month old (almost 11 mo at the time), no way would I use it for a baby younger than that. I believe the manual says not for infants under 12 months.
EDIT: actually it says birth and up (that's crazy)but it does have the following warnings:
SUFFOCATION HAZARD
Infants can suffocate in gaps between extra pads
and side of the product. NEVER add a mattress,
pillow, comforter or padding. Use only the mattress
provided by the manufacturer, placed in the bottom
zippered pocket.
To reduce the risk of SIDS, pediatricians recommend
healthy infants be placed on their backs to sleep,
unless otherwise advised by your physician.
• Failure to follow these warnings and the
instructions could result in serious injury
or death.
• DO NOT place mattress inside PeaPod Plus.
Mattress is placed in zipper pocket
under PeaPod Plus.
• DO NOT use mattress with infants under
6 months of age.

The Guava go crib looks really nice too. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gocrib-Portable-Baby-Travel-Crib/dp/B003VKYL3I"]http://www.amazon.com/Gocrib-Portable-Baby-Travel-Crib/dp/B003VKYL3I[/ame]

Last edited:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
From what I understand, the mom used it as per the directions. It wasn't anything added or a gap that caused the baby to suffocate, it was that the baby rolled and his face was against the nylon side and he suffocated trying to breathe against the nylon. The company's responses to the safety complaint was a little weak too (the safety complaint is public record and can be found online). And apparently this isn't the only baby this has happened to.

My GoCrib has similar warnings about the suffocation and gaps and not to add an additional/thicker mattress. I think my stroller bassinets have had similar warnings too. I think it might be a required warning with the safety standards? (along with the max 1" thick mattress)

Ugh not meaning to belabour the point, just wanting to ensure people do some extra research on the PeaPod before buying it. I believe the safety report is still being investigated so you never know, there could be a recall or design change in the works.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC