How does the driver score 5 out of 5??

tl01

The headrest for the driver flies out of the seat in the crash? How is that reasonable??

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5ITTl5fwbA&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]2012 Toyota Sienna NHTSA Frontal Impact (Updated) - YouTube[/ame]

ETA.... It happens with the current ody on the passenger side.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E6UZ2Z_OPY&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Honda Odyssey | Frontal Crash Test | 2013 | High Speed Camera | NHTSA Full Length Test - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
ADS

tl01

The description I see on my phone is not very detailed. I have a hard time understanding how the lack of a headrest and a dangerous projectile wouldn't affect the results on the dummy... Even if the headrest staying put isn't one of the criterion.

Brianna

All it says from a regular computer is "Rating is evaluation of injury to head, neck, chest, legs."

I would have to assume that the headrest didn't cause enough injury to the dummy to score lower. ITA with you though.

tl01

I guess my issue with this is that FMVSS 202 which pertains to head restraints requires that all front and outboard positions have head restraints. If mine flies off in a crash... Then I don't have one. Especially if it flies off before I use it. If a seat belt flew off during a crash.. That would be an issue... This seems similar since it protects the spine

Not to mention the problem of someone ring impaled by the flying headrest.

Last edited:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I haven't had a chance to read 202 thoroughly, but I scanned it. I'm also on my phone, so research is hard.

Cars have to have headrests that meet certain requirements. It seems that one of the requirements is that the dummy's head not snap back more than 45 degrees. That video cuts out before we see how far back the neck goes. It also seems that headrests have to withstand a certain amount of rearward pressure, which that one clearly wouldn't.

My only guess is that NCAP testing is different than compliance testing. If the rating system doesn't measure things like the neck snapping back, then the fact that the headrest flew off is irrelevant. (For that particular testing criteria, I mean. I'd say it's pretty relevant in the grand scheme of things.)

Presumably the headrests do actually meet the standard. Maybe the testers accidentally set the headrest in a non-locked position. Maybe that particular headrest was defective and no other headrest failed in testing. Maybe Toyota paid off NHTSA or severely pressured them (as has happened before--the pressure, that is. Not sure about payoffs). Maybe NHTSA hasn't actually done compliance testing on those particular headrests yet.

I really have no idea. Just throwing some thoughts out :(

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
WSS

Altering the height requirement will necessitate the modification of the dynamic compliance option in FMVSS 202. The current dynamic test accelerates a seat loaded with a 95th percentile adult male dummy to at least a 78.1 m/s2 (8g) half sine acceleration pulse over 80 ms. The dummy neck must not rotate rearward with respect to the torso more than 45 degrees. The 45 degree performance limit was developed such that a 700 mm (27.5") high restraint would pass the dynamic test. If left unaltered, manufacturers could pass the standard using the dynamic test with 700 mm (27.5") high restraints even though the new proposed height requirement is 800 mm (31.5").

To avoid this, the agency proposes to alter the performance requirements in the dynamic procedure such that head restraints of 750 mm (29.5") with a 50 mm (2.0") backset, could pass. Additionally, the way in which the sled pulse corridor is defined has been refined. Additionally, the way in which the acceleration pulse corridor is defined has been altered. Rather than being defined by two sinusoids, it is now a series of straight lines scaled down from the sled pulse corridor in FMVSS 208. In addition to the head rotation performance criterion, the HIC must remain below 200 during the acceleration test. The dynamic compliance option also requires a minimum head restraint width.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/HeadRest/PEA/Index.html#III

luckyclov

I remember watching those a week or so ago and thinking...wtc?! Aside from everything posted, it looks to me like the headrests are knocked up a bit, maybe that was a contributing factor...?

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC