who has used a TF with a newbie?

rachelandtyke

Our infant seat expired, and I sold my CCO. At this point, there isn't $ to buy an infant seat, even though I'd love a Miro KF.

With DD, I used the travel system a lot. With DS, I only used it a few times, and mostly wore him and moved him into a convertible by 6 months. So, it seems I really don't need an bucket this time.

I have DD's TF that she moved out of when she moved into her booster, so I am thinking baby will go in that. I imagine it will go in one of the captain's chairs with DS in the other and DD 3rd row.

I know it should fit a newbie well. From those who have used it with a newbie, anything you really did or didn't like about it?

ADS

creideamh

I did, it fit a lot better than some convertibles, but DD had SUCH narrow shoulders that the straps didn't fit as well as I'd like (too wide/far apart.)

jess71903

Ambassador
I almost did. Evie was about 6 weeks when we started using it full-time, since DH thought we had to use the bucket. I did try her in it sooner, and it worked great. She was a big girl, so the shoulder thing wasn't really an issue, but I did tend to push the chest clip a little higher than I normally would have.

ETA:

CIMG1061.jpg

CIMG1274.jpg

CIMG1358.jpg

Stelvis

I tried DD in it as a noob and the fit was awful. Straps were way too wide set, no matter how tight the straps were I could have still easily lifted her whole torso out of the seat. She was 7 lb 7 oz, so average size.

rachelandtyke

Hmm, sounds like I might need a back up plan. DD was 8lbs4oz, but DS was only 5lbs5oz. This pg is so far going more like DS's than DD's, so I might have a small one again.

We also have an EFTA I could use if the fit isn't good for the TF . . .

Spam

I think I like the efta fit better, the straps on the tf are pretty wide, I'm still not loving the fit on Eli now and he's a big 9 monther.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Natysr and Wendy both used a TF for their noobs IIRC. I put my nephew into a EFTA a couple weeks ago at 7 weeks and about 10# and the fit was really good. I used the body insert but not the head insert because it was pushing his head forward.

geekKT

TFP from birth here, J was 8lbs 3oz. I used the body insert but not the head insert, and no shoulder pads for a while to be able to get the harness snug and the chest clip high enough.

J has always been thin with a long torso but he did fit fine as a newborn. He was/is broad shouldered enough for the wide set straps. I can see how it could be troublesome on narrower kids, though.

aeormsby

My sister used it with DNi from birth (well, in one vehicle at least, the also had an Onboard). But she came home from the hospital in it and looked great in the picture she sent me. I think she was around 7.5lb at birth.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC