Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

The importance of car seat expiration date

I know it is important. My DH thinks it's purely a marketing ploy so people buy carseats more often and manufacturers can make more money. He is an electrical engineer and wants some proof of why expiration dates are to be followed rather than ignored.

Please help me convince him with some evidence in forms of articles that he can look at.

TIA!
    Inna

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Re: The importance of car seat expiration date

Plastic gets brittle with age. You don't want your carseats to be brittle.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvCRz7BRAM0"]Car seat expiration - YouTube[/ame]
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

Oh, that's a good/scary one. Just e-mailed the link to him.

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

The most important aspect of expiration isn't even the plastic, although that is scary. Generally, you can be sure their is enough of a buffer built into the calculation of how fast the plastic will break down that the seat isn't going to crumble anywhere near the expiry date.

The real issue is that technology changes very quickly. Both in car seats and in cars. A car seat made 15 years ago may not be compatible with things like side airbags, LATCH, seat belt placement, active head restraints, and other commonplace features of modern cars. They might be, but they haven't been tested for this because these things didn't even exist when the car seat was made.

Then you get into the issue of how the manufacture is no longer responsible for continuing to test seats and release recall info once a seat expires. The components are engineered with a certain life span in mind, and they test to make sure they hit the mark, but they don't test to make sure they go significantly past the mark.

Finally, car seats have lots of parts. Those parts get lost or damaged over time and manufactures stop carrying replacement parts after awhile.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

6. Thank You from: