Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

ARGH!!!! Marks in my leather seats!!!!

Oh MAN. I'm in big trouble with DH. I *PROMISED* him that installing the car seats in my Acura MDX leather seats wouldn't ruin them and that any marks/dents would quickly pop out as soon as the seats were removed. Well, DH drove my MDX today which has been without carseats for several days now and he came home pretty unhappy with me ... the first reason was the crackers ALL over the back seat (Whoops!!! I didn't know that) AND then we noticed the seat!!!! I'm pretty sure the marks/dents are from my FPSVD, but they could have been from the Radian65 as well. Either way, they haven't changed from what they looked like when I took the seats out several days ago I remember that "mini van dad" (haha, I can't remember what his user name is/was but he had a mini van as his pic) always assured people that car seats would not ruin their leather seats.

So ... I'm going to have to get some sort of seat protector to put under them. Diono sells one. Any others that are good? Does it have to be sold by the seat manufacturer to be used with that specific seat? Please help ... hubby isn't very happy (and honestly, neither am I)
    Kathleen
    Wife to Mr. Mike and Mom to:
    B - 16, C - 15, T - 15, A - 14, H - 12,
    L - 10, J - 8, A - 8, R - 20mo!!
    I am seat and cover shopping!! 😁

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: ARGH!!!! Marks in my leather seats!!!!

That stinks. The dents in my leather have always worked themselves out but obviously that's no guarantee of anything. If you're looking for a nice vehicle seat protector - I really like the new one sold by Britax. It's marketed to be used with their own seats but they don't prohibit usage with other [non-Britax] CRs.

It's really very thin and super flexible!

Me & the kids at Dorel

Senior Community Member krasota's Avatar

It's not like child carseats are optional. Kids are more important than leather. No point in getting upset. You should see what kids have done to my nice leather couch.

That said, there have been no permanent marks in the leather for my Crown Vic, but the leather isn't the soft supple kind--it's smooth and stiffer.
    Ronan (04/07) five steps!
    Aenea (03/12) FF RXT

CPS Fanatic
    The kinks worked their way out of my RDX leather over the course of a couple weeks.

The leather in my car has a permanent Scenera mark on it. It's been there for months and I've installed multiple seats in the same spot and it doesn't go away. I use the sunshine kids super mat or a thin towel under my seats now.
    C1 7/21/04 Harmony literider and Graco Turbobooster
    C2 7/2/06 Britax Parkway SG and Graco Turbobooster
    C3 6/15/10 ERF in an First Years True Fit

Carseat Crazy

Conditioning he leather VERY well will probably help the leather return to normal.
    Katherine mommy to Emma 5/06 (2 Big Kids) and Ellie 6/10 (Zebra FR90 and FF TF)

8. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member

My parents ended up with marks in their leather seats too, I believe they rubbed Vitamin E oil into it daily and they were gone in a week or so. Now the car seat was in there for maybe 10 days or so straight.

Besides if worst comes to worst; better to have marks in the seats leather and know your kiddies are safe and protected!

I always tell parents that they can get some leather softener to get the marks out of the seats when they are done with car seats. Try getting some of that and see if it helps.

Samantha - CRST
    ~* Mom To Joshua -16 years, Seat belt *~
    ~* Liam - 10 years, 55-60 Pounds, Graco booster (no back) *~
    ~* Cordelia Grace - 7 years, 41lbs, Diono Monterey *~

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

The marks will definitely come out. Funniest ones I ever had were from a rubbery carseat mat that had a teddy bear print on it (don't know the art term for it, they were lines that just were barely raised from the surface of the mat to make the picture), the bear picture was impressed on my seats for a week or two after the mat and seat were removed. If you have passengers in the back, the heat and pressure from people sitting there makes the dents come out faster

(Many Dorel seats are just...evil, though, why must the bottoms be so sharp?!?!?!)
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Carseat Crazy
    Of course my kids are more important, lol! But that doesn't mean I shouldn't attempt to protect my car as well. We've never owned this nice of a vehicle, (and it's only an '01! ) My husband asked about mats or a towel under the seats and I told him it wouldn't be necessary...I guess it is! I'll try some of those other suggestions, too! Thanks!
    Kathleen
    Wife to Mr. Mike and Mom to:
    B - 16, C - 15, T - 15, A - 14, H - 12,
    L - 10, J - 8, A - 8, R - 20mo!!
    I am seat and cover shopping!! 😁