What to do with a seat?

thekatie

When my SIL was pregnant with her first, her mom (my MIL) bought a travel system and "big kid" seat from a neighbor of hers. I turned up pregnant with our second about 6 months after SIL. We explained to MIL that neither of us were that comfortable using secondhand seats with unknown histories (we know they were in no accidents, not even fender benders, but no details beyond that, such as whether the harness straps were washed, etc). Our kids are 23 and 17 months now, both well out of infant seats...

Today, we were all at my in-laws, and MIL and I went to look for a shirt for my oldest. I saw her "big kid" seat (which I had expected to be a convertible of some kind) - its a Britax Regent. I had a very active and squirmy toddler to wrangle so I didn't get to examine it in detail (couldn't even find the DOM or expiration date), but I could see the cover wasn't staying on the shell, and every strap on the seat was twisted over and over again. MIL told me, "You can have the seat. I never have y'alls kids enough to need to put this in my car... You guys just give me your seats when I keep the kids."

I didn't take the seat, and don't know that I will at all, but either way, I don't know what should be done with it. Same with the (Eddie Bauer) infant seat. Obviously if they're expired, they need to be destroyed (or donated as example seats that aren't meant to be used for kids? I don't know how that works). But not knowing anything about their past use beyond no accidents, I wouldn't feel comfortable selling them even if they aren't expired.

I'm sorry this is kind of rambling. I just don't know what to tell MIL to do. Any advice or input would be helpful! Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Take it and turn it into BRU at the next trade in event. Or just trash them both.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC