Used Seat Checklist

CPST_Augie

CPS Technician
I am going to be working with an organization that donates used seats to foster parents. I'm going to try to talk them out of this, but if I can't I've offered to help them with a list of questions they can ask to help weed out some of the bad ones. (I will also be providing educational materials to their families and free checks.) Here's what I have so far. I want to make sure I'm not missing anything before giving it to them.

1. How have you washed the harness? Anything other than “I haven’t” or “Spot-cleaned with a damp cloth” is unacceptable.
2. How did you wash the cover? Covers are supposed to be done on the Gentle Cycle with a mild detergent and Line Dried.
3. (Except for Britax seats) Has the car seat been in the vehicle during ANY accident? Fender benders count. It doesn’t matter if the child was in the seat or not. If yes, no matter how minor, do not accept the seat. The seat has already done its job and taken stress from an accident. You cannot trust it to hold up in a second accident.
4. (Britax seats only) If the child restraint has been in an accident, did it meet ALL of the following criteria?
• The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site; AND
• The vehicle door nearest the child restraint was undamaged; AND
• There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants; (muscle soreness/bruising counts as an injury) AND
• The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND
• There is no visible damage to the child seat. (Look for scuffs, cracks, lighter colored spots on the shell. Make sure you check the belt paths and harness slot thoroughly.)
5. Does the harness appear twisted? If so, do not accept the seat. Repeated twisting of the harness can weaken the webbing.
6. For any regardless of whether or not it’s been in an accident:
• Check for signs of damage. Look for scuffs, cracks, lighter colored spots on the shell. Make sure you check the belt paths and harness slot thoroughly. Also look as the adjuster strap—where you tighten the harness—for fraying.
• Are all parts present? Chest clip, buckles, cover, Hugs or harness covers if they came with the seat, Lower Anchor straps (must be with all seats other than boosters), Tether strap (not on infant only seats or on boosters) manual, all stickers. If any of the above are missing, do not give out the seat.
• Is the seat expired? Expiration varies by manufacturer but most expire after 6 years. There should be a sticker with an expiration date or a “Do Not Use After” date imprinted on the shell.
7. If the seat passes all of the above, call Augie (*****) or email me (*****) with the name of the seat and the model number and I will check for recalls.
8. Any seat that doesn’t pass all of the above, I would be glad to accept the seat for training purposes and/or to dispose of properly.

ADS

sparkle3116

:yeahthatlove:

I would stick with something straightforward like this. The Britax accident instructions are likely to be confusing, especially if the person inspecting the seat doesn't know what it would have looked like *before* an accident. Plus I would worry that someone would try to apply the criteria to other brands.

--Just an opinion from a non-expert ;)

Also, does anyone know how I would obtain permission to use this checklist?

Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC