F150 Ecoboost

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I've seen a couple people mention newer F150s, so I was curious if anyone has the Ecoboost engine. We're seriously considering trading on our Beast for one. I've heard nothing but good things about it and wanted to see what you guys think, if anyone has one.

ADS

bubbaray

Research the recalls because that engine has had a few. We have the 8. DH was nervous about the eco boost being new. I'm not sure if the tow packages are available for it either

Eta we know a few ppl with new 150s and none have the ECB engine. But they all use it for towing so i dunno

canadiangie

My uncle has an f150 with Ford's ecoboost technology. Im pretty sure my parents f150 is an ecoboost model as well. My parents remain undecided on whether they love it (they tow an 18 ft trailer a few times a year), and I'm pretty sure my uncle likes his (went from either a Titan or a Tundra before hand and wanted better fuel economy). He also tows, on hilly terrain to boot.

I'm pretty sure you'll get a million opinions on it. It's one of those things where there's probably no one single answer...

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
There's definitely a tow package for it. That's why we're considering it ;)

Angie, do you know how much your uncle tows? I'd be curious to know how it does, especially on hills.

bubbaray

Is it the tow max or whatever it's called? I can ask DH tomorrow. He is at the ER with DD1 right how and I think he would kill me if I asked him truck ?s at this point in or crappy day

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL, of course don't ask him right now! We're not trading it in overnight :p

Yeah, with the max tow and max cargo (or whatever they call the packages), I think it tows like 9,000ish? Somewhere in there.

ETA: And I hope your DD is ok.

kathysr98

It's teh awesome! My dad has one & I've been driving it for over a week. Mom, dd, & I took it to Dallas last weekend. We checked the gas mileage on the way back & got 18.5 mpg trying to drive 80 but with quite a few random slow downs due to stupids. It went up to 21.5 when we slowed to 75 & had fewer stupids. That was with three passengers & the back of the truck level full of stuff under the bed cover, including our IKEA haul. We like our a/c & I have a lead foot, so better numbers are certainly available. Speaking of lead foot, it hauls butt. Seriously. Like smoke the tires fast, even from a rolling start. (FTR, I didn't do it, I was riding with my dad when he did!) He regularly tows a heavily loaded 16' enclosed trailer and says it tows better than his 2000 F250 V10 gas burner did. It's very easy to drive, IMO, and has tons of room in the backseat of the crew cab version. In fact, I have the small section of the backseat up right now & a B-Safe in the box sitting in that spot. The front seat is all the way back and the box has room all the way around. If you have any specific info you're looking for I'll try to help.

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Historically, I think turbocharged engines were mostly used to boost the horsepower in smaller, lighter engines for sports cars.

Recently, they've also started appearing because they can also boost fuel economy somewhat. I'm guessing Ford opted not to use "turbo" nomenclature and went with "ecoboost" to promote the fuel economy aspect.

The disadvantages tended to be reliability, complexity and repair cost. Also, while they tend to increase power and torque, it's usually at high speeds rather than the low-end torque useful in trucks. Also, some designs have "turbo lag", which means that it can take longer than a regular engine to reach peak power and thus the highest speed possible.

Not sure about Ecoboost, but perhaps Ford has some tweaks to make it more useful in a regular or heavy duty truck, rather than a "racing" truck (sounds like an oxymoron but there are a lot out there). This seems to back that up, if you trust CR:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/04/consumer-reports-f-150-ecoboost-beats-v8-for-towing-not/

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Burst my bubble, D. :mad:

No, seriously, that was interesting. We're mostly concerned with towing power and lowering our monthly payment. Fuel economy is a nice bonus. (It still beats our current truck, probably.)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
We currently have a travel trailer with a GVWR of about 7700, I think. We might get something different, but it will be around the same weight.

We tow on flat roads for the time being, but eventually it'll be towing on everything.

bubbaray

DH says you won't get better fuel economy than with a diesel if you currently have a diesel. He also said that the ECB only gets 1L per 100km better than his V8.

And then he went off on a big rant that was basically exactly what Darren said upthread. Not designed for towing, higher maintenance costs, a smaller engine with a turbo added. Blah blah blah. He then left the room in a huff muttering that he didn't understand what the big deal was with those engines, they were going to blow up.

Un yeah. I think somebody didn't take his happy pill this morning. But there you go. He's um not a fan. LOL

Oh and somewhere in there he said that if he wanted to tow anything other than a very lightweight trailer he wouldn't get a 150 anyways. He'd get at least a 3/4 ton.

HTH

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL thanks

The Consumer Reports thing and everyone we've talked to who has one seems to really like it for towing. I'm skeptical just because I am, but the consensus seems to be good.

An ordinary 1/2 ton won't tow what we need it to, but the specs on the EcoBoost seem to say it will.

We currently have a 1-ton diesel, and we :love: it for towing, but it's enormous (it's a dually), expensive, and way more truck than we need.

bubbaray

This is JMHO but if you have a 1T you are really NOT going to like towing with any 1/2 T, regardless of the engine.

We always check out what other ppls rigs are and have never seen an ECB ever in an RV park. Towing boats yes. RVs no. In fact it is extremely rare to see any 1/2Ts towing RVs. Pretty much 99% are 3/4 or 1T diesels.

I think you'd be better off keeping what you have. Or if you get a smaller truck get a new super lightweight trailer.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
We've talked to a couple people with trailers and have done some reading on some RV forums, and pretty much everyone has been impressed with how the EcoBoost does. But that's why I'm asking here, for some more BTDT opinions.

I know that nothing will beat the truck we have now, but it's really a PITA for everyday use, plus it's costing us a lot.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC