Safeguard GO & tether anchor limits

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
My 4 yo dd has a Safeguard GO as her backup seat. It's installed in DH's car (Honda Accord) right now. She hasn't used it in a while, but today he has my car and we may go out.

For some reason I got to thinking about tether anchor weight limits this morning, since the GO is totally dependent on the TA for upper body restraint. I looked up the TA weight limit for Honda and it's 40 lbs. She's about 43 lbs (but probably hasn't been in his car since she went over 40). The weight limit for the GO is 60 lbs. though.

The car is a '99, so the tether anchor is a retro-fit from Honda. It seems to me that I shouldn't put her in the GO in this car anymore. Unless there is some sort of exception because the GO is lighter than a typical carseat with a shell.

I have her Regent sitting in the house, so I could switch them, but I was sort of hoping to avoid it since this is a one-day thing. But now I think I will, just for the fun of it all - gotta see how the Regent fits in an Accord anyway - research, ya know :p

ETA: I installed the Regent (SBP) in the Accord. It fits well (good to know). And I called Safeguard about the GO. The rep I talked to said they have tested the seat with 40 lb. anchors and tethers, and because the GO only weighs 9 lbs. they say that it's OK to use with lower weight limit anchors & tethers. She's sending me the statement in writing. It's also on the website, but she couldn't find it while we were on the phone.

She was VERY nice, BTW and was a CPST herself. She says they do extensive research and crash testing beyond FMVSS requirements. I asked about SIP and she said they'd had some real-world side impact crash reports with the GO and it performed well (no injury). They also do roll-over, side and high MPH testing at their facility, so it makes me feel a little bit better about the GO.

Last edited:
ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
These two links from the Safe Ride News can help you out with deciding what to do now with the Go and Regent, and with the Regent once she weighs 50 lbs., at which point Britax requires the use of the top tether anchor (and sooner with certain types of installations): http://www.saferidenews.com/html/LATCH_P49.htm and http://www.saferidenews.com/html/LATCH_P8.htm The links discuss why it's acceptable and recommended to continue to use the top tether for higher weight limit harnessed seats beyond the vehicle's stated tether anchor weight limit (mainly because the tether is a secondary point of restraint, and likely to offer more protection in the event of a crash, even if it were to fail).

Last edited:

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
Thanks Jean,

I just put an update in my original post.

I had a nice conversation with the CR at Safeguard. My main concern was that the GO relies entirely on that TA for upper body restraint and I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that. If that TA were to fail, she'd basically be unrestrained (or the equivalent of being in a L/O belt). At least the Regent has the shell to back up the TA.

But the CR rep did say what those articles say - that the TA would most likely do it's job before failing. I guess that's some peace of mind anyway...

chickenman

My 4 yo dd has a Safeguard GO as her backup seat. It's installed in DH's car (Honda Accord) right now. She hasn't used it in a while, but today he has my car and we may go out.

For some reason I got to thinking about tether anchor weight limits this morning, since the GO is totally dependent on the TA for upper body restraint. I looked up the TA weight limit for Honda and it's 40 lbs. She's about 43 lbs (but probably hasn't been in his car since she went over 40). The weight limit for the GO is 60 lbs. though.

The car is a '99, so the tether anchor is a retro-fit from Honda. It seems to me that I shouldn't put her in the GO in this car anymore. Unless there is some sort of exception because the GO is lighter than a typical carseat with a shell.

I have her Regent sitting in the house, so I could switch them, but I was sort of hoping to avoid it since this is a one-day thing. But now I think I will, just for the fun of it all - gotta see how the Regent fits in an Accord anyway - research, ya know :p

ETA: I installed the Regent (SBP) in the Accord. It fits well (good to know). And I called Safeguard about the GO. The rep I talked to said they have tested the seat with 40 lb. anchors and tethers, and because the GO only weighs 9 lbs. they say that it's OK to use with lower weight limit anchors & tethers. She's sending me the statement in writing. It's also on the website, but she couldn't find it while we were on the phone.

She was VERY nice, BTW and was a CPST herself. She says they do extensive research and crash testing beyond FMVSS requirements. I asked about SIP and she said they'd had some real-world side impact crash reports with the GO and it performed well (no injury). They also do roll-over, side and high MPH testing at their facility, so it makes me feel a little bit better about the GO.
this is one reason why i love safeguard, they know what they are talking about and doing. But do what makes you comfortable.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC