harness or booster?

Haness or booster?

• Frontier 85 with harness

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Monterey

Votes: 11 84.6%

• Total voters

NannyMom

6 years old. 40 pounds. Booster maturity is ready. Harnessed in 4 cars currently. Allow booster (Monterey) in primary vehicle, or leave her in the harness (FR85, fits with 3 more clicks to go)?

ADS

glockchick

What does she want to do? I'd let her choose if I didn't have a preference.

My dd is the same age and she's staying harnessed for now. I've tried letting her ride in a booster, but I'm just not ok with it yet. It's just a gut feeling, no real reason.

jennlana

I purchased a Frontier85 for my 6 1/2 yo 46 pound daughter. I know she's safe in a booster, but I felt more comfortable with her being harnessed.

cryswilkins

My DD is the same age. She is still in the FN85 in my car until DS is ready for it. She has one click to go and DS will probably be ready for it in the spring when the baby is our of the infant seat.

I have lost what my point is..... But I am fine with her boostered and she rides in a booster in every other vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse my typos.

gsdguenter

Yeah, I'd let her choose.

Is she solidly at 40 lbs., or does she fluctuate like 38-42lbs? If you were confident she never goes below 40lbs, then I'd be okay with her in either a booster or a harness :)

Good luck, I know we agonize over these decisions that really since we are installing and using our seats safely and correctly, it isn't something we we need to stress over, kwim. Having said that, I totally stress over it lol :p

hesgimenez

I might switch one of the harnessed seats to the primary vehicle and put the booster in its place. That is what I did with DS. Booster in DH car about three months ago. He's in a Regent in my car but on the last slot :(. He is very good in the booster...unless MIL is in the car :thumbsdown:.

NannyMom

gsdguenter said:
Yeah, I'd let her choose.

Is she solidly at 40 lbs., or does she fluctuate like 38-42lbs? If you were confident she never goes below 40lbs, then I'd be okay with her in either a booster or a harness :)

Good luck, I know we agonize over these decisions that really since we are installing and using our seats safely and correctly, it isn't something we we need to stress over, kwim. Having said that, I totally stress over it lol :p

Well, she's 39 currently. But she was 37-39 LAST September. So I'm hoping Within the next year (she will turn 6 in September) she will be steadily 40. She will not bolster until 40 (except for in SIL's car that she uses less than once/month and my cousin's car during our upcoming vacation). And my car will be the first she rides in a booster regularly. Grandma's will be the last because with a booster she can't ride center (lap belt).

Eta- there is no need to hand down the Frontier, it would just be sitting in a closet (like the Monterey is right now).

canadiangie

I waited to booster until dd was a solid 42 pounds.

But I'm Canadian, so you know..

She still rides harnessed in her Frontier for long trips.

I admit I really love the ease of a 5 point harness. It's very stress free. Entering into boosterville has been a total pain in the butt. I'm still searching for the perfect booster...

NannyMom

canadiangie said:
I waited to booster until dd was a solid 42 pounds.

But I'm Canadian, so you know..

She still rides harnessed in her Frontier for long trips.

I admit I really love the ease of a 5 point harness. It's very stress free. Entering into boosterville has been a total pain in the butt. I'm still searching for the perfect booster...

What is not stress free about boostering? We did a booster test drive when she turned 5 and it was just as easy as harnessing. And I :love: the Monterey (at least in my van).

gsdguenter

NannyMom said:
What is not stress free about boostering? We did a booster test drive when she turned 5 and it was just as easy as harnessing. And I :love: the Monterey (at least in my van).

For me, it's easier to buckle a harness, especially in tight situations. Also, you don't have to worry about the child possibly being out if position. But, some people find boostering much easier.

Oh, and boosters are harder to find a good fit IMO when taking body size, car, seating position etc into account.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC