Question RSTV ?

HaileysMommy

I remember reading on here someone saying that using the RSTV was like using a booster and not to use it if you wouldn't booster your child. Is this true?

We are flying to Disney in Feb and I'm debating in taking a car seat or using a CARES and RSTV. DD will be 4y2m and not in a booster.

ADS

ginny4

i haven't heard that at all.:confused:
we have a RSTV & it's perfect for certain situations. it travels well. i do find it rather complicated than a booster or even a harnessed seat. I'm the only one who knows how to use the dang thing. though my 13yo is close to figuring it out.
there is no REAL support like a harness or HBB seat. its floppyish. we use the RSTV whenever i need 7 in my van which is at minimum once a week. its in the center of the 3rd row (lapbelt & top tethered). i keep it there all the time. so DS is sandwiched between his 2 brother. DS leans on them when he's sleepy. if he was by himself. he'd kinda fall over too much unless he's awake the whole trip.

HaileysMommy

We might not even need anything for a car but I was thinking about marking DD to Sea World and in that case we would rent a car. I'm just not sure I wanna haul a seat on the bus too and from the hotel. Not worried about it in the plane or airport.

HEVY

The RSTV is supposed to be the equivelent of a 5-point harness, never heard it being compared to a booster.

ginny4

well the bus service doesn't have seat belts. for us they had me put it in the luggage area of the bus. it worked out ok. the seat just sat in the hotel room the whole time til we left to go home.

brooklynsmommy

We have a RSTV and LOVE it. I originally bought it for when my parents took DD to Disneyland last year. It has now permanently stayed at their house to avoid not having a booster. They use it all the time.

As far as crash dynamics go, I've heard the opposite. It absorbs some of the energy like a 5 point whereas a booster just positions the belt properly for the child to absorb.

For short trips, it really works awesome for it'd intended purpose. DD could correctly route the belts at 5. For longer trips with kids who sleep in the car, it isn't the best because of the lack of side support.

christineka

The safe traffic systems rep said that it's not a restraint for a kid who is wiggly or might slouch. It works opposite of a booster. It is a 3 point restraint because the seatbelt is doing the restraining.

HaileysMommy

ginny4 said:
well the bus service doesn't have seat belts. for us they had me put it in the luggage area of the bus. it worked out ok. the seat just sat in the hotel room the whole time til we left to go home.

I wouldn't use the seat on the bus and I'm not too keen on the idea if putting it in with the luggage.

HaileysMommy

christineka said:
The safe traffic systems rep said that it's not a restraint for a kid who is wiggly or might slouch. It works opposite of a booster. It is a 3 point restraint because the seatbelt is doing the restraining.

Makes sense. I'm pretty sure DD would not slouch but I wonder about if she gets tired on the way home.

littleangelfire

I wouldn't have any issue using it with a child who wasn't being boostered yet, depending on their age. 2 might be a little young IMO, but only b/c I'd prefer to see a 2yo still RF. Would depend on the situation and the child's size since both sizes seem to run really big IIRC. The vest is more restrictive than a booster, less restrictive than a 5 point harness. It acts more like a 5 point than a booster, though, b/c the vest spreads out crash forces on the whole upper body instead of just the three belt points. I would have no issue whatsoever using it with a 4 year old.

Athena

2 might be a little young IMO, but only b/c I'd prefer to see a 2yo still RF.

FYI: They say not to use it with a 2 year old anyway. You probably already knew that, but just in case, didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea. ;)

We used it with a 4 yo for travel and it worked well. But we used both the shoulder belt and the tether together and we did not need to drive much. Packed it in our carry on with room to spare.

Last edited:

gsdguenter

With a wiggly/slouchy child I make sure to use the top tether and lock the seat belt. We love our RSTV for play date carpools in a three across (with the RSTV in the center)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC