CA65: 40" rule

mrosehughes

So, we're facing the dreaded turn or not decision again. DS is a hair away from 40". He's well below the top of the shell of course, and about 36lbs.

So, what would you do if you had a CA65 and an almost 3YO who was nearly 40": would you go against Safety 1st's 40" rule and RF longer, or turn FFing? I should possibly say it's installed at closer to 30 degrees than 45 (ie, I disregard the level line).

I'll probably get a foonf as soon as I can, but until then need to make a decision about this...

ADS

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I made the decision to not go against the manufacturer's stated limits when I had my CA. I know I am in the minority here though. I also did not install without my line being level.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm actually more concerned about the 40" rule than I am about the recline/upright issue.

Yes, I realize 40" is completely arbitrary when it comes to torso height, etc., but given that the seat MUST (or "must" or what have you) be installed so reclined, it seems to reason that there is a greater chance of over-rotation with a taller/heavier kid.

So I actually wouldn't myself. I *might* if I had a short-torsoed 40" kid whose seated height was less than an average-torsoed 40" kid, but I really can't say.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd disregard it, since they've never been able to give us anything close to a good reason for it.

Wendy

InternationalMama

I think ignoring the instructions in manuals is a slippery slope so I don't do it and I don't advocate for it. I bought a MyRide in part because it doesn't have an arbitrary height limit for RF.

Last edited:

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I will be totally honest and say that as a caregiver, I might "stretch" it, but I would not disregard it. If my 40"child grew .5-1" in the legs, and his/her head remained at the same spot on the seat, I might leave them RF - particularly in an instance where I was waiting on a delivery of a replacement seat.

I wouldn't feel comfortable totally disregarding it as a "whatever, it doesn't matter," because we don't know why they are so insistent about it. They haven't given a satisfactory answer, but it's just that - they haven't given an answer that makes me comfortable betting "my" kid's life on it.

I was very, very close to getting a CA at the beginning of the summer but that stupid 40" rule dissuaded me. It frustrates me greatly that I feel like I have to follow something arbitrary because I haven't been given enough information to make a truly informed, educated decision.

Eta: with a not yet 3yo, I would leave it rf until he was definitely OVER the 40" mark - without hesitation. I wouldn't worry about getting him turned at 39.75 or whatever, kwim?

mrosehughes

Carrie_R said:
Eta: with a not yet 3yo, I would leave it rf until he was definitely OVER the 40" mark - without hesitation. I wouldn't worry about getting him turned at 39.75 or whatever, kwim?

This is where I'm leaning; DS is close to 40" but I honestly haven't measured him carefully enough to know if he's 39.75" or less or (eek) more. I got the CA thinking I'd be fine turning DS at three in his secondary car, or that the foonf would be out if I wasn't. I'm thinking I'll probably leave him RFing for the few extra months it's going to take me to replace it, since he's unlikely to grow more than an inch in that timeframe.

Thanks for all the responses!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I probably wouldn't disregard it entirely, but I'm not going to measure my 39.75" tall kid every day to make sure he still fits, either. I'd figure if he's 40.5" tall by the time I can get my hands on a Foonf, it can't possibly make a real safety difference.

I kind of consider stated height limits as "approximate." Not unimportant, just not super strict.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I just realized I have a 39 inch kid in a CA. hah!! I'm not concerned about it at all. Mine is installed more upright and I'll use it until 40 lbs or 1.5 inches of shell or... and this is what is actually going to happen, when my kid turns 5 in december, and things get all snowy and muddy, I'm going to turn him so I don't have to deal with muddy kids boots on my upholstery another year.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC