Word is spreading!

ILoveMy3Boys

Yesterday I met a woman in a parking lot to sell something I had listed on Craigslist. DD was crying because she was hungry. I opened the back door to get her and the play mat out. The woman said "Aww poor baby, you don't like the seat? And to think they *have* to be like that until they are 2 now!". I said "Oh actually she's just super hungry, normally she's happy in her seat. She's our fourth and our first three kids rode RFing until they were 3.5 or older!". She seemed really informed, said she watched some videos on YouTube and was shocked at the difference RFing made! She said she also has a 15 year old son and when he was a baby one year old was the minimum. It was the first time I had really met a random person that was informed about ERF. Her DD is 4 months old and it makes me happy to think that baby won't be flipped at a year!!

ADS

EmmaGrace'sMom

It's refreshing to see IRL isn't it. I sold something (jumperoo maybe) to a lady who had both her kids rfing in RN XT's and the oldest was 3! Her husband was a Chiropractor, they understood the whole bone thing... :p

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I've heard more parents lately say something to the effect of "and they're supposed to be that way til they're two, right?" when we're moving a baby into a convertible or just talking next steps with expectant parents. Makes my heart happy! Definite step in the right direction.

Lenae

I've also heard like 3 people say things about keeping kids RF to 2. I love to hear it. Now, my whole family turn their kids at like 9 months, but you can't choose your family, right?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The landlord next door (who normally lives in California, so I've never met his son before) has his son rear facing in a Britax convertible. He mentioned the other day that his son was 2.5 years old. I told him I was thrilled to hear that, since it's my job.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I now regularly see children who are obviously over 18 months, often over 2, sometimes clearly over 3 RF. :) Not parents who come into checks. Just driving around town.

Now, I still see 3 year olds in backless boosters, and kids not even legal to be in the front seat in nothing. But hey, something's happening.

Ellie173

Our Babies R Us doesn't let parents look at combination seats for kids under 2. They tell everyone to rear face, and that it is so much safer that there will be a law about it soon. I'm sure you could get one, but they work very hard to steer people away from FFing under 2.

crunchierthanthou

I've found that first time parents are much more receptive, and are more likely to be familiar with the new recommendations. It goes over much better than trying to tell parents with older kids that what they did with their first, second, third... is no longer what they "should" do.

Shaunam

I've been hearing it more in the general population too. I was helping an older gentleman in the car seat section at walmart one day (he looked so totally lost!). He needed a seat that would fit both an infant and a two year old. I pointed out the ones that would be easy to adjust the harness height and brought up that it's easier to just keep it rear-facing since the 2 year old was small enough. He said, "Yeah I heard they should stay rear-facing longer". He was their grandfather and seemed to know nothing otherwise about car seats, but he'd heard the news that rear-facing longer was better!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC