FR85 Durango issues

koda&phiasmama

I'm at my wits end trying to install my FR85s in our 07 Durango ( I hate this car and will be trading it in ASAP but it just isn't in the works for at least another 6 months or longer ).

The third row sucks period the seat bench is small and I'm barely comfortable with the FR85 back there but I didn't realize the difficulty I would have before it was too late, anyway right now my main issue it that no matter what I do or how tight i install it I can still move the seat side to side at the belt path a ton ! Sometimes I think it's tight then I check the next day and it's loose again... This is the seat my brother ( who I baby sit for full time sits ) he is 5 and 59lbs... I wanted the boys harnessed because a) my brother is a car sleeper b) when he and DS are both in the car they do not stay still. He's been riding in a harmony low back i picked up until I figure out the problem. My second row is not an option as DD is passenger outboard in her RXT and DS is driver side outboard in his FR85 which I'm also having install issues with !

Any suggestions ! I'm probably going to go with a high back booster at least for DS he is 6 and 60lbs and not at all a car sleeper unless on a very long ride. But Im almost questioning the functioning of the seat belts themselves its an 07 they should lock correct !

Sorry this is so long !!

ADS

caritas

What installation are you doing? Short belt path? Long belt path?

If doing the short belt path, try doing the long belt path. :)

tiggercat

How do the belts lock? Switchable retractor or lightweight locking latchplates? Maybe your latchplates are slippy in which case you can flip the belt to force a lock or use a locking clip.
I second the suggestion to try LBP, I find it much much easier to install the FR in LBP.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

koda&phiasmama

caritas said:
What installation are you doing? Short belt path? Long belt path?

If doing the short belt path, try doing the long belt path. :)

Im doing short I have tried long but will try again, it just looked off like the belt didn't sit flat against the FR does that make sense?

tiggercat said:
How do the belts lock? Switchable retractor or lightweight locking latchplates? Maybe your latchplates are slippy in which case you can flip the belt to force a lock or use a locking clip.
I second the suggestion to try LBP, I find it much much easier to install the FR in LBP.

I don't know what type the belts are I've gone though the manual, I'll try to google it. Thanks

If I do need a locking clip is it something I need to get from britax or can I just pick it up at BRU?

The plastic casing around the male end of the belt is crappy I have already cracked 2 off completely trying to install we don't use those belts because I'm not sure if that's a problem.

ETA: I successfully multi-quoted from my phone, whoo!

aeormsby

Dodge most likely has lightweight locking latchplates (ours truck does, it's an '04 though). Try flipping the male buckle stalk over after you have it tightened. It's most likely that the belt isn't at a good angle for the buckle and the locking mechanism is loosening.

ETA - the other thing to try (if it's not a stiff buckle stalk) is to twist the female buckle up to 3 full twists, shortening that buckle might help with the angle the male buckle sits at in relation to the seat.

tiggercat

koda&phiasmama said:
Im doing short I have tried long but will try again, it just looked off like the belt didn't sit flat against the FR does that make sense?

I don't know what type the belts are I've gone though the manual, I'll try to google it. Thanks

If I do need a locking clip is it something I need to get from britax or can I just pick it up at BRU?

The plastic casing around the male end of the belt is crappy I have already cracked 2 off completely trying to install we don't use those belts because I'm not sure if that's a problem.

ETA: I successfully multi-quoted from my phone, whoo!

Ok, so this is the problem. You need to know how your belts lock and whether or not you need to actively lock them.
First, you need to figure out how your seatbelts lock.
A Dodge probably has lightweight locking latchplates where there is a plastic bit on the latchplate that cinches the belt as you pull it tight. If this lies flat, it should hold, but if you are finding that the belt loosens over time, flip the belt a half twist to hold the latchplate locked. Otherwise, you can use a locking clip within an inch of the buckle.
Another way belts can lock is at the retractor. Slowly pull the belt all the way out, then feed a little bit back in. Do you hear a ratcheting/clicking sound and are now unable to pull the belt out? If so, this is a switchable ELR/ALR l/s belt. Pull all the way out to engage the locking mechanism.
There is a great page out there that goes through all of this, but I can't link from my iPod. Maybe someone can hook you up :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC