Planning ahead for travel: HBB? Sleeping in the RSTV?

Athena

The trip isn't for months, but I am shopping for a HBB for our 6yo now, so I may want to consider that in my decision making. Plus, I like to plan and knowing we can make this work would feel great.

Our kids are 4 and 6 and we will be traveling shortly before they turn 5 and 7. Based on their current stats (and guesstimating using the CDC charts), at that time our 4 year old should be about 46 inches and 43 pounds. Yes, she's big. ;) And our 6 year old will probably be about 49 pounds and 51 inches (although that seems a little heavier than I would have thought, but that's what the chart says).

I am guessing my best option for our 4 year old (almost 5 then) will be the size small RSTV that we used for our older DD a couple years ago. However, that trip required very little driving, so I am wondering if a kid can sleep in it. We expect to have a long drive this time (3 hours) and she's a sleeper. Will this work?

I am thinking we'll have to use a HBB for our 6 yo. She has never been in one, but like I said, we are moving in that direction for her dad's car. Because she is so thin, narrow, and tall, we are looking at the Monterey, but I have concerns about it's issues. I like the idea of the Compass B570, but wish it were taller. Still, if it made a good travel seat, maybe it would be worth investing in for now. Any thoughts? The other one is the Vivo. I like the nice sides, but not the lack of latch. Are any of these good for rental cars, travel, or sleeping in. She is not a sleeper, but may very well sleep after a long day on a long drive. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thank you!!!

ADS

Athena

Of course I'm just realizing I don't know how I'd get the HBB there. We'd take the vest in our carry on, but would that fit a HBB? Thank you for sharing your experience!

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I cannot speak for the RSTV, I have limited experience there. I will let someone with experience answer those questions. :)

Most of the time when someone is going to travel with a HBB and they're buying for the trip, it is recommended that they buy a Graco Turbobooster, remove the back, and pack it in a suitcase padded by clothing to protect it. The child can then carry on the backless Turbo and put it in the overhead bin. If the luggage with the back somehow is misplaced, you still have the backless Turbo and your child still has a safe seat. If you decide to go the backless route for the trip, skip the part with the back, carry the booster on and stow it in the bin.

Athena

Thank you for your response. FYI: She's never been in a booster at all, so the thought of putting her in a LBB may give me a heart attack. :eek:

Based on what I've read, I'm not sure she'll fit in the turbo by then by height. but I can take a look when we're at the store. I sure wish our Target had them on clearance. I'm assuming we could do that with a different HBB that comes apart, but that we wouldn't want to risk a more expensive seat. Is that the logic? Because I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable checking the back on a seat we put her in regularly at home, if that makes sense.

Athena

And I'll check the clearance again because I wouldn't mind buying one for that one trip (assuming she still fit) if I paid clearance price. :)

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I'm assuming we could do that with a different HBB that comes apart, but that we wouldn't want to risk a more expensive seat. Is that the logic? Because I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable checking the back on a seat we put her in regularly at home, if that makes sense.

There is nothing wrong with going this route with a more expensive seat, the back of the Turbo fits easily in many suitcases and Turbos are readily available almost everywhere. I see no problem with trying this with another HBB that easily comes apart. I think that packed in a suitcase surrounded by clothing, the back of the booster would be quite safe.

ETA: There is nothing wrong with keeping the Turbo to use as a backup seat or for when she rides with a friend. We keep one around for my BFF's DD to ride with us.

mdsvc89

We just flew with our evenflo big kid amp, which we separated into 2 pieces. We actually carried both pieces onto the plane and stored them in the overhead bin (the back didn't fit in my suitcase, and I was worried about it not arriving at our destination, since we had a long drive after the flight...) Not a peep from anyone, and it worked just fine.

Athena

There is nothing wrong with keeping the Turbo to use as a backup seat

That would be great. I was just thinking that she wouldn't fit in it long, so it may be a seat we buy just for that trip. But even better if she fits for a while. I'll know more when I try her at the store.

By the way, do I have to consider seat angle with boosters like harnessed seats. Not sure how to explain, but you know how seats are actually a bit tilted back when installed, so that kids lose a little height when they are installed (especially in some cars) compared to sitting in the store. I'm assuming I have to take that into consideration with the booster too? Is that right? Is the rule the belt guide must be at or above shoulder with line parallel to ground like with a harnessed seat? Just making sure I do this right. :) Thanks!

We just flew with our evenflo big kid amp, which we separated into 2 pieces. We actually carried both pieces onto the plane and stored them in the overhead bin (the back didn't fit in my suitcase, and I was worried about it not arriving at our destination, since we had a long drive after the flight...) Not a peep from anyone, and it worked just fine.

Good to hear. Anyone else tried this? My fear would be if it doesn't go well and they try to make me gate check the seat. What do I do then?

Am I remembering correctly that the Amp is not good for skinnies? Even if that's true, this could work with a different seat, but just thought I'd make sure I'm not missing considering a seat I should be. Thanks!

Athena

OR how about 6 yo uses the travel vest and 4 yo in the maestro? That would make the getting it all there easier, but would it really work?

The size small vest says to 52", but does it really fit up to 52" or might it not fit a kid who is 51"?

How will the flight crew react to a large 4 yo (almost 5 yo) using a car seat? How well will she fit it on the plane?

Last edited:

calihannah

Or the 6yo in the RSTV (how does it fit now btw? Any idea about growing room?) and use a Go Hybrid for the 4yo -- it easily goes into the overhead bin in its carry bag. A 4yo in the Maestro may be without any legroom on the airplane -- no fun for anyone. Anyhow, I realize that you probably don't want to get a new seat like the Go, but it is so great for travel (we take 2-4 air trips per month and drive at the destination, so I have had a chance to test a lot of options).

As for sleeping in the RSTV -- I'd definitely lean toward putting your non-sleeper in it. My 5yo leans in it as soon as she's even slightly sleepy, so even if you locked the belt, it might be awkward if your child is actually sleeping in it. Or if you use the top tether and lock it...maybe it would work out okay. It is just SO different from riding in a harnessed seat, at least according to my 5yo!

Athena

Thanks for the ideas!

I've heard of that go hybrid, but didn't quite understand what it was until reading more on the measurement sheet right now. The big thing is the 17" top slots. My 4 yo is already on the top nautilus slots and I think she's on the 17" Frontier slots (possibly higher), so there is a good chance she'll be too tall for it. She is very tall. :( I wish it would work for us. It sounds like a great option for not so tall kids.

I'll have to try my 6 yo in the vest. I've never had complete confidence in my ability to judge that thing. I had to meet with a tech to find out if it fit her when we got it because it seemed too loose to me. But I will try it on her this weekend and maybe it will be obvious.

That was what I wondered about the Maestro, if it might not give enough leg room for her, or something like that. I don't want her to be miserable or worse, get hurt by someone reclining in front of her. (although we could try to get that seat for one of us, but no guarantees) If she can't use it on the plane, then I don't think that's an option.

So, the vest may the only option for the 4yo? Is that right? Anything I haven't thought of?

Athena

I tried DD1 in the turbo at the store today. It was not installed, so I don't know how much that would change it, but it looked like she had more room than I expected. So that may be an option, other than my concern about the airline losing the back and the fact that she complained it was uncomfortable. She was coming from her decadent cow FR85 in our car, so that probably didn't help. She seemed to like the surround version a bit better, but I'm assuming those bulkier sides (that make her and I like it better :)) do not travel as well. I'm guessing kids cannot sleep in the regular turbo at all? Is that right?

We've had so much trouble finding a booster for her for DH's car, if we were to decide to use that for travel, I might go ahead and get it now as a temporary fix for his car. It's not what I really want for his car, but I'm running out of good options. Or how does the Compass B570 travel? I think I like that one a lot as our permanent seat, other than the limited height, but it's taller than the turbo and would be well worth the price if we could travel with it too.

I thought of one more option for DD2. Bring vest. Go by Target or BRU before long drive. Buy Maestro and switch her into that. Try to give it away before flying home? Not the best solution, but I'm trying to think creatively.

sirrahn

I'm guessing kids cannot sleep in the regular turbo at all? Is that right?

My DD has never had any problem sleeping in her Turbo at all. I think generally it's fine for sleeping unless there's something with the vehicle seat that makes it sit extra upright or something.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC