Boosters are going to drive me insane!

jjordan

I'm trying to choose a booster for dd (age 6, weighs 45 pounds, pretty average, size-wise). We live a ways from civilization, so I don't see us going to try seats in person any time soon. Most likely I'll choose one, order it online, and make sure the store has an easy return process in case it doesn't work. (She is in a ProSport right now, with room to grow, so there's no rush.)

Ideally I'd like LATCHable, but that limits the choices. So I think I'm okay with non-LATCHable, as long as the booster is not too heavy. And I definitely want good side protection.

Here are some possible choices - thoughts on any of these, or other suggestions?

Recaro Probooster - love this in every way except for not LATCH-able
Britax Parkway SGL - I think I like this, but doesn't seem to have as much side protection as some others
Cybex Solutions X-Fix - I found one for sale online, but it's a lot pricier than the other options I'm considering, and I don't know if it's worth the extra $$. (Also the DOM might be quite old, and I'm not sure whether or not it would be easy to return, so it might be out of the running for one of those reasons.)<-- called the company and the listing is outdated; so this one is no longer an option. :(

Last edited:
ADS

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Yeah, the X-fit (while awesome) was discontinued officially in 2011? So it'll be at least a year old, regardless.

VoodooChile

Monterey? I don't have one or know anything about how it would work in your vehicle, but I know people have talked about good side protection with it.

bubbaray

Until the whole headrest issue, I would have voted Monterey, but if you cannot try it in your vehicle first, I would NOT recommend it.

I would recommend the PW. I have no experience with the Recaro seats, though as we don't have them here.

jjordan

It will mainly be in our 06 Sedona. DD is built pretty average - not particularly thin or thick, tall or short... very unremarkable, physically (except of course we think she is the most beautiful 6 year old we know - but that shouldn't affect booster fit ;)).

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
No, but it will affect adorableness ;)

What about the new Turbo? Otherwise, if you don't have forward-leaning headrests, I really do love my Monterey. Or what about the ProSport in booster mode?

bnsnyde

Don't go insane, lol.
She is in a Prosport? Can she use it as a booster when she outgrows the harness? My son is in one and still harnessed at 6 (54 lbs., 48 inches). The side-protection really looks impressive with the deep wings, with foam. And I've heard the fit is good with a booster. But I know it does not last too long as a booster as it's short. (The Probooster, others said could be tippy. Plus no latch.).

The Parkway doesn't seem to have much side-protection from what I can tell. We have this for a spare in Aunt's car.

Cybex Solutions X-Fix. These seem impressive with side-protection. The foam is serious on those things. We have one DOM 2/2010. We never used it but I wanted to own one. Not sure we'll ever use it (since I later got into extended-harnessing). PM if interested in it. I planned to keep it but it's just sitting there. It lasts 7 years.

jjordan

Thanks everybody. :) With your help, I will stay sane. ;)

I am hesitant to use the ProSport in booster mode because it is SO heavy, and cannot be used with LATCH (as a booster). Our head rests are not very far forward, so I think a Monterey might work, but our second car has NO head rests in the back, so it wouldn't be able to be used there. I'll check out the Strada, thanks for the suggestion!

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Don't forget the Monterey (Diono version) has the headrest AND the belt guide issue.

koda&phiasmama

bnsnyde said:
Don't go insane, lol.
She is in a Prosport? Can she use it as a booster when she outgrows the harness? My son is in one and still harnessed at 6 (54 lbs., 48 inches). The side-protection really looks impressive with the deep wings, with foam. And I've heard the fit is good with a booster. But I know it does not last too long as a booster as it's short. (The Probooster, others said could be tippy. Plus no latch.).

The Parkway doesn't seem to have much side-protection from what I can tell. We have this for a spare in Aunt's car.

Cybex Solutions X-Fix. These seem impressive with side-protection. The foam is serious on those things. We have one DOM 2/2010. We never used it but I wanted to own one. Not sure we'll ever use it (since I later got into extended-harnessing). PM if interested in it. I planned to keep it but it's just sitting there. It lasts 7 years.

If the OP passes on your x fit I may be interested !

jjordan

Game-changing news! Jess71903 just showed me on Recaro's FB that they allow LATCH on the ProSport in booster mode. I am flying high right now! (And HOW did I not know this before?!? Why was this news not shouted from the rooftops?!?)

kaleigh71

We just recently bought a turbobooster with ss for DD1, and I honestly like it better than the DS1's probooster. It fits DD1 very well, she is pretty average for a 6 year old. I don't have to worry about whether it is in the 2nd or 3rd row due to tipping like I have to with the probooster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC