Tire advice: Is Cooper a good tire?

MommyofBoogieBear

we are in need of two new tires for our 1998 Honda Accord.

The store mentioned Cooper being a good tire. Is this true? I don't recognize the brand.

thanks for your help! we don't know much about tires!:eek:

ADS

southpawboston

as a brand, there's nothing about cooper to worry about. just be aware that within every brand there is a range of tires from mediocre to excellent. i'm sure cooper has a range as well. if you knew the model that could help determine the quality.

MommyofBoogieBear

OK, thanks. that alone is helpful. I'll have to wait until DH gets home to find out what model he found. They seem so expensive! (but then again...all things like that down here are since they are imported etc...) We had bought some Kumho (sp?) for the Montero about a year or so ago...and no lie...a MONTH later....something small in the road DESTROYED the tire! there went a hundred bucks down the drain... so we don't want to get burned again.

southpawboston

i almost suggested tirerack.com for comparisons but then realized they don't carry cooper tires. but yeah, tirerack is a great source of info on tires and doing cross-comparisons.

Morganthe

I replaced the crappy slippery Goodyears that originally came stock on my Dodge Dakota with Coopers about 10 years ago. It was really nice not having to put the truck into 4wd for basic traction as soon as it started to rain. Even with a cap on the back and loaded down, the rear wheels would easily spin. :(

I had read up on tires through some magazines including Consumer Reports. All had good reviews on Coopers for the price at the time. They were a better value than the Goodyears, that's for sure :p

I know this was a while ago, but they did last around 5 years & approx. 40,000 miles with no problems. The guy we sold the truck to couldn't complain about the wear bars being worn down. They were still legal ;) (He was really trying to find something to nitpick to bring down the price and he couldn't :D)

But he passed it along to dh that once he replaced them, the truck drove noticeably better. :rolleyes: I hadn't been the primary driver on it for over 2 years and dh didn't even notice when he was driving in another car with locked brakes, so that's not saying a lot :p

Not much to go on, but at least it's a little positive ;)

MommyofBoogieBear

Thanks SP and Morganthe....it is comforting to know. BECAUSE.....DH went ahead and bought them. He needed to do something...and shopping our our city (think LARGE capital city in central america) can be very challenging. he first went to a place looking for Pirelli (sp?) but didn't have our rim size. so the second place really recommended Cooper...and we were in a bind...and REALLY needed a tire at that point (the spare had already blown!). But I don't like to do such big purchases (b/c will buy another one this weekend..and shortly replace all tires and I want them to be the same) without doing some research. but this was pretty much an emergency situation. I had tried (to no avail) to search something real fast online while he was in the store (aren't cell phones great?!) but no good/easy site came up. so i turned to you guys! :) Why i didn't think of that first....i don't know.

anyway...thanks, you have put me at ease. :)

I'm pretty sure the tires DH has on his Jeep are Coopers and in the 6+ years we've owned the Jeep, these are his favorite tires. If this current pair is the Coopers I'm thinking of they are one of the Discoverer models for SUVs.

beeman

My winter tires are coopers. I've only had them one year, but so far I like them. I haven't heard anything bad about them yet.

MommyofBoogieBear

thanks! all comforting to hear! so far...all good things ....
i need to check out the model of them. they sure were a pretty penny!
(but again...that doesn't mean much here)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC