wwyd, illegal 5pt seat or booster...

which seat would you use

• husky

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • parkway

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters

thrillhouse

okay, so if he goes in the husky for a few more weeks and then I come back with a full fledged 4 yo in a parkway after his birthday, will I get the same response?

I'm honestly not opposed to putting him back in the husky, it's a draw between the 2 choices to me...

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
We are all here because we care and we want to do the best thing. right? :love:

Yes, a 5 point is safER, but is it better to break the law than use use a seat that is legal and also safe?
Yes, a 5pt is safer then a 3pt. What it really comes down too, is what you feel the best about doing. Do you want your DS riding in a illegal 5pt or in a CDN booster with a 3pt seat-belt? Ultimately the choice is up to you, everyone here has given their opinions and suggestions but the final decision is up to you. Personally for myself I wouldn't buy an illegal seat but if it were between that and another less safe of an option I would vote the illegal seat.

okay, so if he goes in the husky for a few more weeks and then I come back with a full fledged 4 yo in a parkway after his birthday, will I get the same response?

I'm honestly not opposed to putting him back in the husky, it's a draw between the 2 choices to me...

Honestly, in a couple of weeks he would have met the requirments but I would still highly recommend that you keep him in a 5pt longer just because he would be safer in a 5pt harness; especially since you have one already. I do think at his age and weight that he Parkway would make a great back up seat if you do decide to continue using the Husky.

thrillhouse

Yes, a 5pt is safer then a 3pt. What it really comes down too, is what you feel the best about doing. Do you want your DS riding in a illegal 5pt or in a CDN booster with a 3pt seat-belt? Ultimately the choice is up to you, everyone here has given their opinions and suggestions but the final decision is up to you. Personally for myself I wouldn't buy an illegal seat but if it were between that and another less safe of an option I would vote the illegal seat.

Honestly, in a couple of weeks he would have met the requirments but I would still highly recommend that you keep him in a 5pt longer just because he would be safer in a 5pt harness; especially since you have one already. I do think at his age and weight that he Parkway would make a great back up seat if you do decide to continue using the Husky.

yes, and that is exactly what our intention was. to use the husky until it expires, and have the PW for a spare for travelling and so we can use it when we need more space in the back (to have an adult in the back etc..) but dh just thought it was silly to have the PW sitting around unused when it is so nice and perfectly legal etc.. see where I am coming from? that's why I posted the poll, I was truly question what was the better option, since both seats are appropriate, but only one is legal. It's tough when the husky is safer.. I know it's safer, and if anything happened to him in the PW I would feel sick.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member

It's about the bones having time to calcify for me... so I would still prefer him in a 5pt harness until he's closer, if not at, the age of 5 years old.

So, yes I would still give the same response. If at all possible, I like to see children in 5pt harnesses until the age of 5 years old.

singingpond

we have an illegal husky that expires in 2 years, and we have a canadian parkway. my son weighs 42 lbs and is just over 40 inches tall. he fits the parkway very well. He also has only one kidney due to cancer. I like the 5 point of the husky, but it is a huge seat and takes up a 2/3 of our back seat. the V shaped top tether also prevents us placing our hatch cover on which is supposed to prevent the contents of our trunk from flying forward in a crash. In the husky my son has open space on either side of his torso, but in the parkway he is hugged and held really well. I like the TSIP for protection of his abdomen.

would you keep using the husky or move to the parkway?

I'm not in Canada, so I don't know how unpleasant the consequences are if you are stopped with an unapproved/illegal seat. However, I'm going to vote for the Husky, since I think it is safer (I guess I'm generally more concerned about actual safety and laws of physics, rather than legal issues and after-the-fact liability), and you already own the seat. Unfortunately, I don't know how MUCH safer, which I believe is the sort of information you were hoping to find.

FWIW, I thought your original question was reasonable, as were most of your follow-ups that I glanced at -- not sure why some people are getting so exercised about you 'having already made up your mind' -- that wasn't my impression.

Katrin

Jewels

Senior Community Member
but dh just thought it was silly to have the PW sitting around unused when it is so nice and perfectly legal etc.. see where I am coming from? that's why I posted the poll, I was truly question what was the better option, since both seats are appropriate, but only one is legal. It's tough when the husky is safer.. I know it's safer, and if anything happened to him in the PW I would feel sick.

But why have the Husky sitting around until it expires? If it were me, I would be telling DH we spent good money on that seat and we will use it. The Parkway isn't nearly as expensive.

I also think you know in your gut what you want to do. Go with what you feel.

thrillhouse

I'm not in Canada, so I don't know how unpleasant the consequences are if you are stopped with an unapproved/illegal seat. However, I'm going to vote for the Husky, since I think it is safer (I guess I'm generally more concerned about actual safety and laws of physics, rather than legal issues and after-the-fact liability), and you already own the seat. Unfortunately, I don't know how MUCH safer, which I believe is the sort of information you were hoping to find.

FWIW, I thought your original question was reasonable, as were most of your follow-ups that I glanced at -- not sure why some people are getting so exercised about you 'having already made up your mind' -- that wasn't my impression.

Katrin

thank you for seeing my point :love:

thrillhouse

But why have the Husky sitting around until it expires? If it were me, I would be telling DH we spent good money on that seat and we will use it. The Parkway isn't nearly as expensive.

I also think you know in your gut what you want to do. Go with what you feel.

that is a good point. maybe we could use the husky and keep the PW in the trunk in case something happens to the husky. we could just pull out the PW and carry on..

so many things to consider..

jdchic3

I can't imagine being in this situation! Those of us in some other countries are so blessed to have so many options! I'm one of those people who HATE the idea of going against the law, but my kids are so much more important than that! Goodness, good luck!

Also, I like your idea of keeping the PW in the trunk. ;)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
What changed was, yesterday, by a series of fortunate events, we got a brand new parkway for free from a boutique store.

How'd you manage that?
that is a good point. maybe we could use the husky and keep the PW in the trunk in case something happens to the husky. we could just pull out the PW and carry on..

so many things to consider..

Just remember you don't want it to become a projectile. Do you have another vehicle you could use it in? What is the DOM on it?

steph

Let's all take some nice deep breaths. I think we can all safely say that we all have our children's best interests at heart. We are all here because we care and we want to do the best thing. right? :love:

Clearly we all have a point to make, but can we agree that we are all right? Yes, a 5 point is safER, but is it better to break the law than use use a seat that is legal and also safe?

Okay I am not in Canada but if I had the oportunity to have a heigher rf weight limit seat (i.e. one imported from Sweden which is illegal in the US) than I would use it. I'm not really sure how Canada works though, are the police trolling for illegal carseats? I got pulled over and the police officer barely looked in the backseat at Ryan, let alone at the seat he was in.

So to officially answer your question, yes I would break the law and keep him in the safer 5 pt harness.

canadianmom2three

Well a bit late in the game for me to be tossing in my:twocents:, but here I am also a canadian, with a DS just 1 week shy of his 5th birthday, and we happen to have 2 very nice and definately still useful hbturbos sitting around not being used...admittedly not nearly as nice or safe as the parkway, but a decent booster none the less. That said, we have made the choice to break Canadian law by keeping our 50lb DS harnessed in our Radian, which is only stickered to 48lbs. I plan to continue using the Radian, until he outgrows it by height, or weighs 65lbs. For me, it is not as much about the law, which in this case, as in yours I really feel is a technicality. There is nothing about my Radian that is any different than the 65lb ones, just like there is nothing about a canadian car that would make a us husky unsafe to use in it...it is all beauacracy. For me I am less concerned about breaking the law, than I am about my child's safety. I know we all have different ideas about what is safe, I see every single one of my son's friends riding in boosters, many of them backless, and to me, that is their business, but my business is keeping my child as safe as I can. For me, that means 'breaking' the law (but just a tiny bit;)) Just another canadian perspective...and yes, if that Radian hadn't shown up on the Canadian market at just the right time, you would have seen me hopping the border and coming back with a big new Regent, I just didn't feel my DS was safe in the booster, it was the kyle miller video that got me thinking about it, but this was the clincher, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04 after watching that, I knew I couldn't live with myself if I didn't do the best for my child...so sorry that was waaaaay more than :twocents:, more like $20 really:eek:

Connor's Mom

Ladies, I think that we have stepped into the trap.
I know the "argue it out because the few people that don't really know and are reading this thread need to know what she is saying is WRONG" thing, but I think we have drilled it in to anybody that may be reading this that her child in a booster does not equal safe and that her child really should be in a 5-point restraint whether he is 4 or as she keeps saying "almost 4".

With that said, I think that we should just drop it and quit arguing with this woman because she obviously has her mind made up about was is best for her child and that we Certified Professionals and CPS freaks just have it wrong, wrong, wrong and want her child in the Husky because we are Natzis that way. :whistle:
So, IMO, we need to just let it go and let her stir the pot some where else. :twocents:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
That would be why I stopped posting. ;) :D

Well, that and the fact that I'm supposed to be outside moving dirt and laying sod :whistle:... half the backyard is done now... supper break time.

Back to the grind... :p

Connor's Mom

That would be why I stopped posting. ;) :D

Well, that and the fact that I'm supposed to be outside moving dirt and laying sod :whistle:... half the backyard is done now... supper break time.

Back to the grind... :p

Well when you are done, I will fly ya down to the Lone Star State and you can do my backyard, lol. You will love Austin, it is only 84 degrees today. :thumbsup: But it was 102 yesterday ,lol
We are having guys come next week to give us an estimate to re-sod. UGGGGGG!

amyg530

non canidian, non tech here but i just wanted to point out that you said he often sleeps in the car...

we have a cottage in the country and go on long car rides where he will often sleep, and he needs to be comfortable,

if hes sleeping then hes gonna slump over and not be able to stay sitting up properly in the parkway. if hes in the husky (my vote) the 5pt will allow him to sleep and still be properly protected

and i'm not one of those here that thinks they need to be in a 5pt till 9 or 10 but i definatly wouldnt put a 4 yo in a booster b/c i believe their bodies and spines are strong enought yet

thrillhouse

I'm sure everyone (myself included :) ) will be thrilled to hear that ds is back in his husky. He said he missed his brown seat and that he couldn't see out the window with the head piece on the parkway. dh is a little miffed that the trunk had to go back to the way it was, but it's worth it.

any new suggestions? rather than let this parkway sit around expiring needlessly for the next 2 years, I am going to return it. We'll still need something for travelling, so maybe I can save my store credit and add some $ to it in a couple months so we can get a radian...even though I really really don't love the radian..

any other ideas? I have to get something that this store carries since I have credit there. they have roundabouts and marathons, which I might try ds in again now that he is potty trained and out of his cloth diapers now. We have an 18 mo so maybe get him a roundabout, or another marathon and put ds1 back in the old marathon? I'll have to see what else the store has, it's a boutique store.. they even had a britax couture marathon...so pretty but not for my boys.

Synchro246

Can your DH drill another hole in the trunk cover to allow for the other side of the V-tether to go thru?

Maybe this is a bad idea, :confused:, but it seems that it would be safer than having no cover.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I'm sure everyone (myself included :) ) will be thrilled to hear that ds is back in his husky.

That's GREAT!!!!!!!!

As for other seats . . . well I love my MA but I know that a Radian will last you longer. My DS is 3 and is in the top slots of the MA but only in the 2nd to the top in the Radian. So even though you don't love the seat I think it will give you the biggest bang for your buck.

You could also look at the Apex, it is bigger but does convert to a decent booster but then again it is getting up there in price and is very close to the Radian (price wise) and I don't know if the baby boutique carries that seat (is it e-children you are dealing with?).

Unless the Evenflo Advance hits the market soon then that will give you another option.

thrillhouse

I suggested that to him a couple years ago, but he said he didn't want to. I'll ask him again, since we are going to have tethers for many more years..

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC