Lap only belts on a school bus...

ADS

Ladybugmama

I'd be more comfortable using a carseat with the lap belt. But I'm not a tech. I do not let my 4 year old ride in a bus without a carseat but she also has some special needs

tiggercat

Kids > 40 lbs I'd say nothing.
Kids < 40 lbs should be in a child restraint.
IMO

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

keri1292

I tell my kids not to use them and explain why. I think compartmentalization is a safer bet. My kids are 45 and 55lbs.

smackeen

I assume this is an older bus that does not have the harnesses in the front seat.

If that is they case, I agree with Tiggercat.

IMO
Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

If no option for a child restraint, I would almost lean towards just the seatbelt. Statistically riding the bus is safer than driving a car. Also, compartmentalization does not always work for the littles. Hence the harnesses on the newer buses for <40lbs.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor

I agree with this. If it IS an older bus that does not have reinforced seats to install a car seat on then often you can not have anyone sitting in the seat behind the seat where the child restraint is installed.

Is this for a bus full of kids, or just one or two particular kids? A regular thing or field trip or something? Do you know the weights of the kids?

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
I was able to find this out:

"My older daughter will be almost 6 in the summer (now she weighs around 40 lbs and is 41" tall). My younger daughter will be 2 yrs and 2 months in the summer (now she weighs about 30 lbs. and is about 35" tall). The camp I'm looking at uses small buses with lap belts. In the car my 5 yr old is in a frontier and uses the 5-point harness. My 2.5 yr old is still rear-facing."

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ugh, small buses? Small buses aren't built properly for compartmentalization anyway. So that changes the equation to "if they can't put car seats in, a lap belt is probably better than nothing but they really need to get some bus harnesses on there."

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC