from US to Canada?

Misty-Bug

I know of someone who used to live in the US and she is in canada now thus she has a US seat. I thought we can't use seats from canada. She said she just got it checked at walmart and they said the seat was fine. Installed well and everything. I am confussed
Why can't there be a set of rules and people NOT change it!

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Walmart :confused:

No, it is illegal to use a US seat in Canada and vice versa. I am thinking that the person she talked to at Walmart had no clue what they were talking about. Did they even know if it was a US seat? When did they start checking seats?

If she doubts you tell her to contact ICBC, police or a fire station that does seat checks and ask them.

Misty-Bug

Walmart :confused:

No, it is illegal to use a US seat in Canada and vice versa. I am thinking that the person she talked to at Walmart had no clue what they were talking about. Did they even know if it was a US seat? When did they start checking seats?

If she doubts you tell her to contact ICBC, police or a fire station that does seat checks and ask them.

she said there was a cop pulling people over and sending them over to get the car seats checked in the parking lot. She doesn't know if they are trained or anything.

*edited to add*
I will probably check out the seat on saturday cause I am meeting up wiht her. I explained that I am wanting to become a tech she seems ok that I am talking about it with her.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
she said there was a cop pulling people over and sending them over to get the car seats checked in the parking lot. She doesn't know if they are trained or anything.

hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm. Did they happen to notice that it was a US seat? At the check I was just at we always checked to see if it was a Canadian seat.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Sounds like she was part of a road side stop. When we do these types of checks we are not looking at stickers at all.

We are looking for a seat that does not move when tugged at the belt path, correct harness tightness and correct positioning of chest clips. Basics of keeping the child safe.

This is not the same as a going to a certified person to have your seat checked and learn how to install it properly in your vehicle.

No matter what the officer in the Walmart parking lot told her, the seat is NOT allowed to be used in Canada... unless she's just visiting. If she lives here, then she needs a Canadian seat.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Sounds like she was part of a road side stop. When we do these types of checks we are not looking at stickers at all.

We are looking for a seat that does not move when tugged at the belt path, correct harness tightness and correct positioning of chest clips. Basics of keeping the child safe.
Really, at our road side check we still looked for stickers just like we would have any other time :rolleyes: I guess every province is different.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Really, at our road side check we still looked for stickers just like we would have any other time :rolleyes: I guess every province is different.

If they were in plain view, we checked them out, but most of the time we were just looking for child in carseat correctly and carseat not loose in vehicle. Not very thorough check stops IMHO.

Misty-Bug

I convinced her to talk to her hubby. Then I will talk to her more if we meet up. I may look at the seat myself ;)
although I don't know what you all know

Jewels

Senior Community Member
If they were in plain view, we checked them out, but most of the time we were just looking for child in carseat correctly and carseat not loose in vehicle. Not very thorough check stops IMHO.

So then do you check the straps, take the child out, uninstall the seat and then re-install it?

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I convinced her to talk to her hubby. Then I will talk to her more if we meet up. I may look at the seat myself ;)
although I don't know what you all know

It needs to have a CMVSS sticker on it. Basically that is a white round sticker with a red maple leaf in the middle and around the outside it will say CMVSS with a number or a couple of different numbers depending on the seat.

Misty-Bug

It needs to have a CMVSS sticker on it. Basically that is a white round sticker with a red maple leaf in the middle and around the outside it will say CMVSS with a number or a couple of different numbers depending on the seat.

yeah mine has it. Don't remember if the maple leaf is red or if it is just a black outline but either way it is there.
I want to provide her the right info. If she chooses to keep the seat and use it against all advice what happens? Like if she were in an accident would it not be covered? She moved here from the US to stay from what I know

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I want to provide her the right info. If she chooses to keep the seat and use it against all advice what happens? Like if she were in an accident would it not be covered?
She could get a fine, which in MB is $243-280 but that depends on the province. Also whether she is covered or not would also depend on what province she is in.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
So then do you check the straps, take the child out, uninstall the seat and then re-install it?

Sigh... no, all they do is visually check everything and do a test movement with the child in the seat. The seat only comes out if the straps need to be moved up... not something I like! This is for road side checks though, not for seat checks done at an event.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

Sigh... no, all they do is visually check everything and do a test movement with the child in the seat. The seat only comes out if the straps need to be moved up... not something I like! This is for road side checks though, not for seat checks done at an event.

The seat checks here run by capital health are very similar to the check stops - the only difference is we look for the CMVSS sticker. If a child is harnessed properly and the seat is installed properly, it's not taken out of the vehicle. In many cases, I saw techs just tightening up seat belts without actually taking the car seat out. The first vehicle I shadowed had a marathon and the base was sitting on the LATCH belt connectors, but the tech I was shadowing didn't want to take the seat out. :rolleyes: (Guess what, it came out... :whistle: ) They didn't even check the recall lists for seats - even though we had them there... they just wanted to move as many people through as possible... frustrating.. (no small wonder that one family I helped it was the 3rd time they'd had their seat checked, because the first two times they didn't feel confident it was in there right - and it wasn't. :rolleyes: )

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC