Vent Wh-wh-WHAT???

hope41more

I have a one-year old evenflo symphony I want to donate because it's good, passes all "used" tests, and still has 5 years left (no crashes, submersion, rust, bumps, ne er been checked on a plane, etc) i called the Police department, they told me to call fire dept. so, I call the fire dept, and the sergeant says he doesn't take used seats because he can't vouch for their safety (fair enough). THEN he says "besides, their seats are usually fine after a crash so we just send them home with the one they own." WHAAAAAT?????!!!! :shock: so you won't take a seat that *might* have been in a crash if I'm a liar but you'll use a seat you KNOW has been in a crash??? I don't know how you ladies do it- even the people that see it all just don't get it. BLECH!

ADS

Mommy!

Proof that just because someone's a fire fighter/rescue/police or doctor they don't really know as much as they think they do. Really stupid thing to say :eek:

Now that being said their not accepting a used seat, regardless of good condition, is sadly probably at least partially a liability issue for them. Unfortunately a family using their crashed seat to ride home is likely not AS MUCH of a liability issue for the fire dept. as them using a used seat provided by the fire dept. Not as safe, but unfortunately in our litigeous society covering one's "derriere" sometimes trumps safety, particularly for government organizations. :(

Is their an ambulance unit, perhaps someone you know, or in a smaller community that might accept it to carry on one of their rigs? Possibly less regulations if you can go through these unofficial channels.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
There is no room to carry a seat. I would just be on the lookout on freecycle for someone in need.

christineka

There is no room to carry a seat. I would just be on the lookout on freecycle for someone in need.

My local hospital ambulance has a cubby on the outside, where they keep a titan stored. I can't imagine anything bigger fitting.

Op, check the expiration date on your symphony. It should have an 8 year lifespan, so if it is only a year old, it would have 7 years left. I would just keep on the lookout here and on freecycle or in your community circle for someone who needs a car seat. You might find a foster child organization. (I hear horror stories of foster kid car seats.) You're awesome to want to donate it!

Joyofbirth

Give it to your local women's shelter. They often pick women up without seats. Ours tries to get them a seat ASAP, but I think they should keep one of each on hand. If they can't use it themselves for pick-up, I'm sure they have a mama who needs it. Or you can offer it to a local crisis pregnancy center.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
I agree, if you have a local women's/crisis shelter, try them. You might even get a chance to look at the seats they are currently using, and maybe could swap yours out for something expired or unsafe.

Athena

You are AWESOME for wanting to help by donating your seat! I hope you find someone who needs and will take it.

hope41more

Athena said:
You are AWESOME for wanting to help by donating your seat! I hope you find someone who needs and will take it.

I think I did! We had friends come over last night and her BFF is having an unplanned on very little. She wants to use a convertible from birth, so its perfect.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC