Question 2nd carseat for back of scion XA-Canada

S

sciondriver

Hi all! I've seen a few questions about small cars, but wanted to post my specific question, since I'm interested in buying a car seat online and may not be able to try them out. So here goes:
We drive a 2006 Scion XA and have two kids in the back. Our infant is growing out of his graco snugride (which fits in our car, but just barely!) and we plan to move him up to our 4 year old's current maxi cosi priori (a RF-FF convertible) in a couple of months. We want to get the 4 year old (he is a small kid at 28 pounds so not worried about him growing out of a car seat any time soon) a new 5-point-harness booster-type seat, but I'm not sure what will fit well in our car in one of the passenger seats with the maxi cosi in the center position. I know everyone talks about the Radian, but it is so expensive! I'd love to be able to get something for $150 or less, if possible. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Welcome to the car-seat.org - I hope we can help you.

I don't believe the Maxi Cosi Priori is available, nor legal, for use in Canada. Where did you buy it? If it's not a Canadian seat I'm afraid you're going to need to look at replacing both seats, as it's not legal to use a seat in Canada if it's not certified for use in Canada.

I also don't think that the Scion has been available in Canada for very long. I recall it being a recent addition to the Canadian market, despite it having been in the US for some time. I know this thread was moved to the Canadian sub-forum, but you might have better luck asking in the general forum to get a broader range of answers.

While it's ideal to have a seat in the centre if it fits, it often doesn't in smaller cars. If it does though, I would seat the older child (if forward-facing) in the centre as he is less protected than the rear-facing younger child. If they don't fit side-by-side, properly installed and selected seats installed in the outboard positions are very safe.

How much does your smaller child weight? And can you get a seated torso height on the older child? Sit cross-legged on the floor against the wall and measure from floor to shoulder. That will give the torso height, which matters for forward-facing seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC