AO DOM sticker

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Where do you find it? I checked two AO's that my friends have, they shouldn't be expired but I couldn't find the sticker anywhere. I even took off the base to try to find it and it is no-where to be seen! And there is no expiry date stamped into the seat.

What do you go by then for expiry :confused: The harness system and the LATCH both had tags that said Sept/Oct. 2002, which makes sense as they bought them in Dec of 2002.

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Where do you find it? I checked two AO's that my friends have, they shouldn't be expired but I couldn't find the sticker anywhere. I even took off the base to try to find it and it is no-where to be seen! And there is no expiry date stamped into the seat.

What do you go by then for expiry :confused: The harness system and the LATCH both had tags that said Sept/Oct. 2002, which makes sense as they bought them in Dec of 2002.

Sadly, this seat was probably purchased just before they started putting expiry dates on carseats. If there is nothing in their manual, then in Canada, we go by 10 years from DOM on the seat. If the DOM is missing, then the seat is illegal and needs to be destroyed.

I would still tell them to err on the side of caution and get rid of the seat after 6 years from DOM since that is what is recommended on current models of the same seat.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I would still tell them to err on the side of caution and get rid of the seat after 6 years from DOM since that is what is recommended on current models of the same seat.

I thought the current expiry date on the AO/AOE's was 7yrs :confused: Were they not always that long of an expiry date on those seats?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I thought the current expiry date on the AO/AOE's was 7yrs :confused: Were they not always that long of an expiry date on those seats?

The CDN and US versions of the seat seem to have come with different expiry dates. I think most people in the US get seats with 7yr expiry, but I've seen 6yrs on the few I've checked. I'll look next time I'm in wal-mart though. This could be one of those ever changing things. :rolleyes:

As for DOM sticker, I don't recall off the top of my head. I thought it was on the back of the shell just before the bend - where it'd be visible without taking the base off. :confused: (I'll check that too if you don't have a response for it.)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Okay, I just got off the phone with Cosco, they said along with the paper sticker the DOM is stamped into the plastic on the back of the seat usually not behind any webbing or harness' and they are not allowed to leave the factory without both stamps. He said the one stamped into the plastic is a sundial about the size of a penny that will have the numbers 1-12 with an arm and arrow pointing to the month made and that beside/close to the sun dial will be the last to digits of the year (ie, 07). He also said they recommend replacing the AO/AOE's after 8 years.

So, now I have to go check out this new info :D

ignora

Senior Community Member
My dd's AO (DOM 2003) is good for 6 years... so it just depends. I think the AOE's are 8 years... in the US, anyway.

mommycat

I've only recently checked one of my Canadian AOEs and the expiry was 8 years. DOM was on a sticker, don't remember where though - near the top? It's good to know about the sundial stamped dates in case the stickers get damaged. :thumbsup: The expiry was stamped in large raised letters on the cross-bar in the back maybe??? "Do not use this seat after December 20xx" or some such thing.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
My AOE (cdn) is good for 8 yrs.

I asked Janice and she said the early AO's have a 6yr expiry.

The seat didn't come with LATCH. When did the LATCH become mandetory to come with seats, 2002 :confused: So if it was 2002 that seats started having LATCH would you assume this seat would be before 2002?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I asked Janice and she said the early AO's have a 6yr expiry.

The seat didn't come with LATCH. When did the LATCH become mandetory to come with seats, 2002 :confused: So if it was 2002 that seats started having LATCH would you assume this seat would be before 2002?

Depends... seats were only required to come with LATCH after September 1st, 2002. She could have had an August or earlier date 2002 model without LATCH.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Depends... seats were only required to come with LATCH after September 1st, 2002. She could have had an August or earlier date 2002 model without LATCH.
aaahhhhhhh, I was hoping I could sort of rule out what year by whether or not it had LATCH. I know this one friend bought it at Walmart at the end of 2002 maybe early 2003.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
aaahhhhhhh, I was hoping I could sort of rule out what year by whether or not it had LATCH. I know this one friend bought it at Walmart at the end of 2002 maybe early 2003.

Still could have been a 2001 if it was bought at Walmart in late '02/early'03. ;) :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC