Do you ever wonder.....

Loves2sing

Do you ever wonder why there are no car-seat commercials? They advertise for everything else, but why not car-seats? Isn't it a big enough industry? If I ever see another "male-enhancment" drug commericial, I may throw up, but I would :love:love:love: to see a car-seat commercial.

ADS

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I don't think the industry NEEDS to advertise on TV.

I don't think I've ever seen a commerical for a stroller, highchair, crib, or swing either.

They focus their marketing cash on the parenting magazines where, evidently they get their money's worth.

Occasionally there are safety commericals. . .

Morganthe

I mentioned this several weeks ago when I was talking to the Britax rep about the whole Regent installation fiasco. I asked her about the no-advertising black hole from car seat companies.

She had been working there for only several months and was absolutely shocked to learn about their car seats when she was hired. She even lived in the local area, but had never known about them.

She had absolutely no clue why Britax primarily relies on word of mouth or Boutique stores to sell their products. I think they've only grown more popular because the internet shares info so quickly and it's easier to locate them. It also helps that Target and BRU carries them in their storefronts. Granted, it's not a huge selection, but they're still there next to the Cosco, Graco, and Evenflo.

I believe that baby furniture advertising has always been some sort of niche market that Parent magazines just create awareness. After all, the companies are not directly selling it to the public in "Storkcraft" or "Graco" stores, but through furniture and regular stores. They leave it to the actual agent to create sales and advertisements.

Imagine what it would turn into if they had all children gear constantly advertised like Pharmaceuticals and Sweets? :eek: More bombardment on how to be the 'perfect person' ;)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I haven't seen the commercials myself, but Safeguard had/has commercials for their seats, and I've seen print ads for them in parenting magazines. Graco and Evenflo advertise in parenting magazines, too. I don't recall seeing Britax print ads, but I'm not a huge magazine reader so it's entirely possible I missed something. ;)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I think it's because the profit margins are lower with carseats. When you look at what does get advertised, it's usually the stuff with the highest profit margins - i.e. it costs much less to make and market than they charge for it (like medications).

elle7715

I don't see why Britax doesn't run print ads showing all their covers. It's a big selling point and unless you look online you wouldn't even know the existed.

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
Recaro has ads in the new issue of Wondertime! They say something like "Don't buy cue, buy safe!" and go on to talk about their safety features, etc. I think the don't advertise because they don't have to. Parents are legally required to buy seats. The only legally required baby gear...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC