Rear-facing tether vs. good side wings?

MAJ

I am currently working on placement for seats in our cars... my younger daughter rarely rides in my husband's car, but I want to have a spare seat for his car, just incase. (Side note-- car does not have rear airbags.) Since it won't be used often, I don't want to spend a ton, but I still want to feel that she's safe when she IS in there. I know only a few seats allow you to tether rear-facing, and they're usually the more expensive seats. I am wondering if something cheaper with good side wings is just as, or almost as, effective as rear tethering? She is 21 months and will be rear-facing for a long time, hopefully, and I know that adds safety in and of itself. Beyond that, just wondering how much safer rear-facing with a tether is. Thanks for any input!

ADS

jjordan

The truth is that we don't really know how much (if at all) safer a seat is with a rear facing tether. FYI, the least expensive seat that can be tethered rear facing is probably the Roundabout 50, which periodically goes on sale at Target for $100. Aside from that sale, either the Roundabout 50 or the Roundabout 55 runs about $150 and is your next-cheapest RF tethering option.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
MAJ said:
I am wondering if something cheaper with good side wings is just as, or almost as, effective as rear tethering?

Well, side wings and rear tethers do different things. For that matter, we don't know how much difference either of them makes, so it's largely speculative.

Wings are intended to add additional side-impact protection. Rear tethering is designed to reduce rebound after a crash, though it might also prevent some movement in a side impact.

I'm not terribly concerned about rebound, but I'm quite concerned about reducing lateral movement in a side-impact crash. So if I were deciding between the two, I'd choose wings over a rear tether. But like I said, we don't actually know how much benefit--if any--either of those provides.

So it really boils down to personal preference.

MAJ

Thank you for the input! Can I piggy back my original question with another? :)...

Any thoughts on which helps more, EPS foam or air pockets, like on some of the Safety 1st seats? I want to be armed with lots of info incase I see a seat at a great price somewhere!

todzwife

Well, side wings and rear tethers do different things. For that matter, we don't know how much difference either of them makes, so it's largely speculative.

Wings are intended to add additional side-impact protection. Rear tethering is designed to reduce rebound after a crash, though it might also prevent some movement in a side impact.

I'm not terribly concerned about rebound, but I'm quite concerned about reducing lateral movement in a side-impact crash. So if I were deciding between the two, I'd choose wings over a rear tether. But like I said, we don't actually know how much benefit--if any--either of those provides.

So it really boils down to personal preference.

Perfectly said!:love:

todzwife

Thank you for the input! Can I piggy back my original question with another? :)...

Any thoughts on which helps more, EPS foam or air pockets, like on some of the Safety 1st seats? I want to be armed with lots of info incase I see a seat at a great price somewhere!

It's SO hard to say. I bought the CA on a whim because WM had them for $45 (pricing error?) And I actually LOVE it. It seems SO comfortable, it's very plush. And I think I'd rather hit my head on one of those pads than EPS foam.:eek:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
We really have no way of knowing on foam vs air pockets. Dorel, obviously says air pockets are superior, and they did tons of testing trying to find the best product for their seats.

Personally, I love the air pockets and FEEL that they are superior to foam. If I were going to punch something, I'd rather have my hand hit the air pillow than a rather rigid piece of styrofoam, you know? And the concept is rather similar to having an already-deployed airbag waiting for your head.

That said, I have no idea if it's ACTUALLY better.

I wound up buying the Complete Air twice just for the air feature, then stopped using both of them for other, unrelated issues. So even though I FEEL they're superior, they don't trump everything, and I have no qualms putting my kids in other seats.

todzwife

We really have no way of knowing on foam vs air pockets. Dorel, obviously says air pockets are superior, and they did tons of testing trying to find the best product for their seats.

Personally, I love the air pockets and FEEL that they are superior to foam. If I were going to punch something, I'd rather have my hand hit the air pillow than a rather rigid piece of styrofoam, you know? And the concept is rather similar to having an already-deployed airbag waiting for your head.

That said, I have no idea if it's ACTUALLY better.

I wound up buying the Complete Air twice just for the air feature, then stopped using both of them for other, unrelated issues. So even though I FEEL they're superior, they don't trump everything, and I have no qualms putting my kids in other seats.

Do you mind sharing what those issues were?:eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC