What is your comfort level for FF a 30 month old?

RubysGirl

She's still small, but we have a three across situation and she keeps kicking her brothers' faces. DS2 could be turned back if we bought a seat that went to 45lbs RF, but chances are he'll kick his brother, too.

WWYD?

DD is 30 months, 34 1/2" and >27lbs.

ADS

hrice

I would not FF a 2 year old. I deal with the same situation in my vehicle. If it isn't my RFer kicking it's the FFers reaching over and pinching, hitting, etc. It is ALWAYS something! I would just have your RFer go shoeless to avoid any real damage. :D

jess71903

Ambassador
I can't say that I'd never ever under any circumstances FF a 2.5 year old, but I wouldn't in your case without a serious discipline regime first. Maybe give the FFers permission to grab and hold her feet for a few seconds every time she kicks or something, and yeah, make her ride shoeless.

kdkm

I am not comfortable with my niece who will be 3 next month and has similar stats FF, so no I would not be comfortable with a 30 month old FF.

Last edited:

Baylor

I would flip her and not think about it. Not having peace in the car and strife can be Just as dangerous.

auto correct hates me

hrice

Baylor said:
I would flip her and not think about it. Not having peace in the car and strife can be Just as dangerous.

auto correct hates me

Really? She's 2. I think it's worth it to try other options like riding shoeless, etc.

My kids kick and scream no matter what direction they face.

Cryssy Jane

I would not FF a 2 year old. I deal with the same situation in my vehicle. If it isn't my RFer kicking it's the FFers reaching over and pinching, hitting, etc. It is ALWAYS something! I would just have your RFer go shoeless to avoid any real damage. :D

Bolded. Usually it's my Rfers kicking my FFer but today the FFer was initiating everything. We just take shoes off in the car and tell them to deal with it.

gsdguenter

DD2 turned 3 on 5/6 and I'm not comfortable ff her.

I'd try shoeless and a discipline plan before I turned for that.

SignCuer

auto correct hates me

Really? The kid probably will find another way to be irritating whether FF or RF. Believe me, I know. I constantly have 4-6 kids in a 1996 Ford Windstar with only one sliding door. It's not easy. Would my solution is to FF help? No. Honestly the risks of FF a young'un that age in an accident is more prevalent than not having peace in the car.:confused: I rarely have peace in the car myself :p

So absolutely not. I would definitely not FF a 2 year old. This is the testing phase. With a good dose of discipline, she'll learn to leave others alone.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I'm ok with it if there is a good reason. however, I'll get on my snooty parenting horse and say that that type of misbehavior by a neurotypical child would NOT, in my book, be considered a "good reason". I'd put a stop to that real quick.

manitobamimi

Personally I wouldn't forward face a two year old. I think forward facing her would probably only be a temporary solution anyway, once the novelty of forward facing wore off she'd find some other way of annoying her siblings. Two year olds are naughty, :) have you tried maybe buying a portable dvd player and distracting her with movies, or maybe some washable crayons or stickers? Or could you move her outboard so she could see out the window better?

ElfJewel

When I had a problem with kicking, Jamie asked to be turned back around so Ian couldn't reach her (they can still pinch/hit when facing the same direction but not kick). I would consider FFing an almost 3yo who was outgrowing their seat, but for a discipline issue I would do everything I could to deal with the behavior first.
Oh, and they are allowed to take the kicker's shoes.

boneheaderss

I would not feel comfortable forward facing any child of any age until they have genuinely have outgrown their convertible car seat in the rear facing position. Age has nothing to do with it.

Is she in the center? I'd try and jam two huge pieces of cardboard between the seats so that she cannot kick her brothers.

Kel

My three little's touch each other. And my three big whisper things to each other, that can be even worse, lol. That's in my 12 passenger van. I really feel for you.

I think she'll stop after new of kicking get's boring. Or have 7yr old hold her feet down. I think she'll do something else they hate FFing to.

Kelley

TXmom2

My 3 yr old kicks no matter which way she's facing. :eek: (she is back RF full time now after a brief FF test run)

She either kicks the baby, or her big sister or both at the same time (flexible little things, they are)
We have a 3 strike rule. 1-warning. 2-take shoes (this is usually enough) and 3-loses dessert, bedtime story or gets time out (depending on time of day & flexibilty of the schedule)

and no, I wouldn't FF because of this

jeminijad

Honestly the risks of FF a young'un that age in an accident is more prevalent than not having peace in the car.:confused: I rarely have peace in the car myself :p

So absolutely not. I would definitely not FF a 2 year old. This is the testing phase. With a good dose of discipline, she'll learn to leave others alone.

We do not have evidence that a forward facing 2.5 year old is riskier than a carful of screaming kids. You can't make that assertion, because you don't have any numbers on distracted driving, and the info on RFing is hardly deep and wide.

You are deaf, correct? While irrelevant in most ways, this may be very relevant when it comes to distracted driving.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
jeminijad said:
We do not have evidence that a forward facing 2.5 year old is riskier than a carful of screaming kids. You can't make that assertion, because you don't have any numbers on distracted driving, and the info on RFing is hardly deep and wide.

You are deaf, correct? While irrelevant in most ways, this may be very relevant when it comes to distracted driving.

:yeahthat: x 1,000,000

SignCuer

jeminijad said:

Yes you are right we don't have evidence. I should have made myself more clearer and it was my opinion only, not based on anything else. If a person wanted to FF the kid, fine with me. Not my kid. I'm just giving my opinion what I would do.

As being deaf, yes.. I'm deaf and how is this relevant? Can you clarify before I write a nice long response?

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC