Chicco Keyfit 30 vs. Regular keyfit

L

londonmonkey

I am due in Oct. and originaly registered for the regular keyfit because the new one wasn't out yet. Now I've seen a lot of good reviews on the kf30, and am wondering what to get. I know that the kf30 can be used longer, but is that the only difference? I should also note that I do not have LATCH in my cars, so I was wondering if there is any difference in the 2 as far as belt installation. This is silly, but I don't like the new fabric options for the kf30, and I plan on getting a britax convertible for her anyway (like I did with my son) so, is it still worth it to get the 30, as opposed to the regular keyfit?

Thanks for any oppinions!!

Tracy

ADS

cso1997

The 22 and the 30 are the same shell so the only difference is the fabrics and the weight limit. The base is identical as far as install, so no there would be no difference there. I personally see no reason to go with the 30 unless your LO's tend to be short but chubby. We are still using the 22 with growing room at 11 months. I think my DD might outgrow it by weight first but it will be after her first birthday. That is good enough for me. We have a Decathlon in our other vehicle and she much prefers that seat. So I guess for us, the 22 was more than enough. Good luck!!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Actually, there is a slight difference in the shell. The 30's offer one extra inch of height... not really a reason to go with the 30 unless you need the weight limit of it. I'd probably stay with the 22, especially considering you want to move to a convertible sooner rather than later.

L

londonmonkey

Thanks for your input! My son was tall and thin, so he outgrew his infant car seat at 6 months. I had a snugride back then, because I didn't know much about car seats and figured there was no difference between them. I just went to BRU and picked out a travel system, based on price and what stroller I liked. I think, with the info I've gotten I will stick with the reg. keyfit.
Thanks again!

S&JsMom

I was doing the research, too. In our BRU I didn't see the regular keyfit, except as part of a travel system. To me keeping baby in the infant seat for the full year is important (so I can keep my DS in a convertable until 5 years old). I tend to have babes that outgrow seats by length before weight, but who knows what this one will do. Should I look at the regular key fit or just look at the 30?

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
If you really want the seat to last at least 1 year, I'd look at the Graco Safeseat. It seems to last by height much longer than the Keyfit (and also goes to 30 pounds).

S&JsMom

If you really want the seat to last at least 1 year, I'd look at the Graco Safeseat. It seems to last by height much longer than the Keyfit (and also goes to 30 pounds).

Thanks, Yes, that was what I was planning to look at as first choice, but DH doesn't want to get such a "big and heavy seat" since he knows that if we have stairs to climb or taxis to get in and out of that we need our seat and can't take a stroller that HE will be the one carrying it. The almost 10lbs that it weighs without baby is a bit of a turn off. :( The Chicco seems lighter (although still heavier than the Snugride, which is his first choice).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC