we got a new car! and a ?

ElfJewel

FIL got a new car, so we got his old one (03 Expedition). Yay! DH will drive it to work, and we will leave it for anyone that has to drive the kids while I am working (no one likes loading my van and they pretty much refuse to drive it). They will ride in it a couple of times a week.
368410aa.jpg

After playing with seats this is what we have now:
3rd row:
J and K outboard in literiders (I wanted them in HBTBs but they don't fit), I center in FF Radian
1f46fbf7.jpg

2nd row captains chairs M backless TB and E RF Radian
91e8f3e6.jpg

I am training M to check everyone and so far she is doing a great job.

I wanted M in the 3rd row so J could be up front in a hbb, but with a literider her ears are even with the top of the headrest. So we put her in the 2nd row today and she has about 1/2 inch of headrest above her ears. The headrests are just crazy low. I think I can get a little more time by getting another literider, but I was hoping someone else would have a great idea.
Some things I have thought of but don't want to do unless I have to:
M front seat in backless booster (front seat has tall headrests)
M third row no booster (This is my least favorite option. I haven't even tested her there, but even if she 5 steps she is light and no where near puberty, I want her in a booster)

Does anyone know if Ford has taller headrests available for either back row? That would be the best I think, but I don't know if they can do that. Or maybe a hbb or move her or ???
Any ideas would be appreciated!

Requirements:
-Emi has to go in the 2nd row. No one will climb in to buckle them. (preferably driver side, we have an aa ordered to try her there)
-Ian needs a tether, so center back or captains chair
-no budget, I have lots of extra seats and can buy new seats if necessary
-J in hbb would be preferred, but the lr works too
-Kids need to be able to buckle themselves (they can buckle the literiders now)

ADS

Kat_Momof3

what about buying a cosco top side... it sits lower than the literider and might buy you some time... then, when she's too tall for the 3rd row again, you could move K into it and put J in the literider back there at that time, when they'll be older :D

Kat_Momof3

I see, you want me to go get it and measure it... SIGH... no problem :D

ETA - okay... it's 15-16" wide (widest point at front is 15, outside to outside of armrests is 16"

it's all of 3" thick in the back... the literider is like... 6" high... so that's why I say it may work.

for us, I got it because in the literider and other backless boosters, Ruthie's shoulderbelt was too far to the outside of her shoulder... in this one, the shoulderbelt is in the center of her shoulder just touching her neck gently... which is better.

ElfJewel

Thanks! I will get one this weekend and try it. I know M can deal with the different routing, I just have to make sure the shoulderbelt still fits right. If it works in the 3rd row I can keep J in a hbb a little longer.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Can your ffing radian rider self buckle? Also, is he under the rfing weight limit?

You can probably fit two HB Monterreys next to the ffing RN if you are comfortable with using a Mont without a head rest.

ElfJewel

Ian can buckle himself, and Megan will check him. He fits RF, and is RF in my car, but I need to make it easy for whoever is watching them, so he needs to be FF (I know it would probably fit better RF but it's not really an option). We actually have 2 Montereys so I will try it, M has outgrown them but if it works for K and J that would be good. The headrests are pretty flat so I might not need to take them out.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Ian can buckle himself, and Megan will check him. He fits RF, and is RF in my car, but I need to make it easy for whoever is watching them, so he needs to be FF (I know it would probably fit better RF but it's not really an option). We actually have 2 Montereys so I will try it, M has outgrown them but if it works for K and J that would be good. The headrests are pretty flat so I might not need to take them out.

I wasn't meaning take them out, I was mentioning it because they are all that tall.

If he can self buckle, and his sister will double check him, it may not be anymore work for whoever is watching him, Just in case that is the only way to get HBB back there.

ElfJewel

OK the Montereys don't fit, so I'm just going to try the top side and hope M can fit in the 3rd row.

The AA came and I installed Emi's Radian behind the driver. DH says it's comfortable to drive but it looks pretty upright to me.
bcc612bb.jpg

compared to before
91e8f3e6.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC