ERF Poll

tallylassie

For folks who have kids ages two and older, I'm curious about what seats you're using to ERF your child(ren). What age you think you'll make it to? Will the seat be outgrown by height or weight?

Or if FF, what you had been using before turning, and at what age the seat was outgrown RF?

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to reading your responses. :)

Megan

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
My son turned 3 ten days ago, and is FF in a ProSport at the moment. He was RF until he outgrew his Coccoro at 2.75, and due to my car, I can't fit any of our other seats RF. He will RF again once I buy a new car. He's itty bitty (22 lbs and 34") so he'll be able to RF in pretty much anything, but I'm buying him a Foonf anyway :eek:

tiggercat

My nearly 3 year old 30lb 37/38 inch tall, long torsored guy is rearfacing in an RXT. I will RF him as long as he fits, which might not be long due to height.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

gsdguenter

DD2 (turned 3 in May) is rfing in a multitech and Radian. She's no where near outgrowing either. She is 33 lbs. I'm assuming she'll outgrow the RN by height. Both, actually. I think she'll make it to 5.

DD1 outgrew her RN rf at 4yr 10mon and 41 lbs ( we have the 45 lb rf versions). Following the 1.5 in rule she outgrew it by height.

Pixels

Since turning two, my DD1 has ridden in every convertible seat we own(ed). Graco ComfortSport, Combi Coccoro, TrueFit, Safety 1st Avenue, Radian 65s and XT, Graco MyRide. She outgrew the ComfortSport by weight first, then the Coccoro by height when she was 2y9mo. Next was the Avenue by height. The MyRide is now crashed but she still fits. She just weighed in at 35 pounds so the TrueFit is officially outgrown by weight, leaving only the Radians, in which she has several inches to grow and five pounds. I think she'll gain the five pounds before she reaches the height limit.

She is now four years two months, and has the option of rear facing or forward facing in our primary vehicle. I actually have two seats installed for her, a rear facing Radian and a forward facing Avenue. Each time she gets in the van she has the choice, and so far she has consistently chosen the Radian.

atw

Dd is nearly 3, rf in r120 and an EFTA. She can also rf in blvd65 though.

~36 in and 30 lbs

Oops, I think she'll make it 4 in about any seat, but think the EFTA will be outgrown first. RN? 6?

I think by height for the 35 lb limit ones....but it's a total tossup. Maybe simultaneous!

Eta: wow, I cannot answer a multipart question this evening!

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

java

dd is 2, 21lbs and 32 inches tall She is erfing in a radian xtsl, ra55, and evenflo tribute. I suspet she will outgrow all by height well before weight.

Dd just turned FF a 3 yrs, 10 months a few weeks ago. Until then, she was RF in a radian xtsl, and could have easily rf'd for another year.
DS is 3 yrs, 2 months, and he is RF in a radian 65.
My foster son will be 2 next month and RF's in a myride. He has loads of room, but he is pretty tiny.

NVMBR02

Dd2 is 2 years 11 months. Right now she is in a blvd70 and a myride65. She will probably make it to 4 in both of them. I do plan on getting a foonf at some point but I want a chance to try her in it in person before buying one since I am unsure if I will like it rear facing.

ETA: I should add that dd is on the smaller side, 34.5 inches and ~23lbs.

Last edited:

Brianna

J turns 3 in 2 months, he's 36 pounds and probably 39 inches. He outgrew his MyRide by height at 2 1/2 and has been riding FF with his mom since then other than long trips. He still fits RF in his Triumph which is in my car and I install it for his mom on long trips- she has a hard time with it. He's borderline at 1" of shell above his head so I'll be turning him FF when he turns 3.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
DS is 3 years 5 months. He's 30lbs and 36 inches. Currently RFing in a Radian 80 with angle adjuster (Subaru legacy), radian 80sl, and radian XTSL (notice a pattern? Lol. We also had a Tafian 65 that was crashed). My goal is... However long he fits. I would love to make it to booster age (DD still physically fits RFing at 6.5, so it's totally doable). If he starts really freaking out about it or getting car sick (he's prone to it, I have to plan ahead). Basically, no plan to turn.

kdkm

My niece is ERF in a RN80SL and a RA50. She will be 3 years old in a month and is about 35 inches and 26 pounds (not sure about torso but can measure that tomorrow). She has years in both (obviously more in the Radian). I would say 3 or so inches in the RA50 and 5 or so in the Radian, last time I checked. (I will measure tomorrow and maybe try to get pics).

I am pretty sure she will outgrow the seats by height way before weight. I think she will easily make it to 5+ in both seats. I think when she turns 4, we will give her the option to turn FF.

Keeanh

My 4yo is RF in a RN80 & MR. If she puts on another 3-4lbs, she'll outgrow the MR by weight (she's not chunky, but obviously has a short torso!). I really can't say if she'll outgrow the RN, or if I'll just switch her at some point. She uses a RN FF the rare occasion she's in DH's car.

My 2yo is RF in a Coccoro & Scenera. Those are small seats, and she has piles of room LOL. I have no idea how long she'll last RF -- she's only 23lbs & 30" now.

Matthew is 6 1/2 years old and is RF in a Radian 65. He will likely outgrow it by height and weight at around the same time. He used to RF in a Orbit Toddler Seat but outgrew it by weight. We have a Foonf on pre-order for him.

Matthew does much better in the car RF and hopefully will be able to stay that way a long time. He was in a ProSport for a short time before we moved him to the Radian.

djma

DD is 3 years, 25lbs, 34" and rides RF in a ProRide and older Marathon.

I'm not sure when or if she'd outgrow by either height or weight before being turned. My goal is to keep her RF until 4, but I don't think she'd meet the height or weight maximums on the seat by then.

I would love to buy the new graco seat to give her some more legroom, but that's a little ways away (like, buy it with tax money). LOL

cowgirlsmommy

My youngest is 28 months old and she has a Britax Advocate 70 CS, True Fit Premier, Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL, and we have a few others for backup and a Foonf on preorder. Even in her Advocate, she could probably rear face to 4. She's my short little girl.

crunchierthanthou

Dd was 3.5 when I turned her ff at the end of June.

She was in a RA55 until about a month before that, then in a RN80 the last few weeks. Now she's ff in the Radian. She still fits rf in both the Roundabout and the Radian. I turned her ff for a 10 day road trip, and didn't want to go back to lifting her in after we got home. I would have turned her at least part time when preschool started in August anyway.

CrazyBoysMamma

JJ is 3 1/2, 33 lbs, 37 inches. He primarily rides in a RA50 right now because his cousin is borrowing his favorite seat, a TF. I'm not sure when he'll outgrow them, he goes long periods without gaining anything, then suddenly puts on several pounds. I know he'll outgrow the TF by weight first, likely the RA50 as well. He has a very short torso. I have a Radian just in case he outgrows those before I can get him a Foonf, I have no intention of FF any time soon. He's actually afraid to FF still.

MommyShannon

At DD2's 2 year check up she weighed 23 lbs and was 33". She mostly uses a TFP. She also fits our Complete Air, Britax RA55 and Britax Marathon70. She will outgrow the Britax seats by height before anything else but I'm sure she has a year or more. The TFP it's hard to say. She has tons of room and is light. The CA has tons of room too. I'm pretty sure she can get to 4 easily.

laurenandalex

My now 4 year old turned FF at 3 years, 10 months. She was about 33 lbs, 40 inches at that time, riding RF in an XTSL. She was close to outgrowing by height by the 1.5" rule (yes, she has a super torso!) and the headwings plus strap covers were making it nearly impossible to get the harness on her. There was too much user error when anyone but me was buckling her :(

Before the XTSL, she rode in a classic MA until outgrowing it at 3 year, 3 months (30 lbs and ~39 inches).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC