Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 40...or 41?

40...or 41?

I was reading a thread on another board and someone said their child had just hit 40 lbs. Everyone basically said, "OMG, you have to get them out of that seat right now!"
    Now, my granddaughter usually stays at the same weight for MONTHS, so when she hits 40 lbs. I know it will be awhile before she goes higher, although most of her seats are HWH seats so it won't matter that much for her.

But for other kids, when do they have to quit using the seat?(keeping in mind how the harness fits, of course.) I think they should be able to use it while they are still 40 lbs.

So stop using the seat right
    AT 40 or at one pound OVER 40?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: 40...or 41?

When she gets on the scale with a full belly, fully clothed, and with shoes one and it reads 40lbs, she needs a new seat. Not 40.2 or 40.8. 40 is the magic number, nothing over
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lovinwaves View Post
    When she gets on the scale with a full belly, fully clothed, and with shoes one and it reads 40lbs, she needs a new seat. Not 40.2 or 40.8. 40 is the magic number, nothing over
    Yep, ITA with that.

My dd hovers 30.2, 29.8 and the rf'ing limit on her MA is 30lbs (I'm in CAnada.) So she is ff'ing. The weight limits on ff'ing seats are even more important though... and given the difference that can happen between scales and how unhealthy it would be for a child to be weighed constantly, I'd just get another seat if kiddo wasn't old enough/mature enough for a booster.

(I know some people weigh their kids regularly, but I know I had to actually quit weighing myself regularly because my dd was getting obsessed with the scale... even if they don't understand the numbers, I don't think it's healthy for kids to be on and off a scale every day or every car trip. Much safer and healthier to just say, ok, you're at the limit, new seat time.)
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

ITA with the other comments, but just wanted to add how I make this type of decision. I WILL NOT have a "What if.....?" moment, EVER!! I would drive myself totally insane IF something happened and I had to look back and ask myself "What if I had done it this way?" all the time. It's just not worth it!! Besides, getting a new carseat is FANTASTIC!!!

I agree with the previous posts as well. I don't think I could live with myself if anything ever happen to Jenna and there was something else I could have done better to keep her safer. I know other Moms have gone through this and lived, but I am sure the guilt would be to overwhelming for me to bear.
    Amanda- CRST & Mom
    J-08/01/05 & M-09/14/08

I agree with everyone as well... 40lbs on the dot and you're out of that seat. Actually, I'd probably be switching them up at 38 - 39 lbs just to be on the safe side.

I don't weigh my kids all the time (used to be anorexic and will NOT take my kids down that path) so if the scale ever hits 38 - 39lbs they will come out so that I don't miss a growth spurt and all of a sudden they are riding around in a 40lb seat at 41lbs.

We have plenty of seats that go above 40lbs in Canada... there is a wide selection and price range that there is really no excuse to not move up to the next seat at 38ish lbs. Just my
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC