Oh man...why did I buy it...

newmommy929

So, I bought the Frontier 85 SICT for my 4year old a couple of months ago. I am now completely starting to regret doing that. I wish I would. have just bought the regular Frontier 85.. I didn't realize how wide it was gonna be. Man that thing is HUGE. And now that I think of it, I probably really didn't need the extra SICT when I have a 2011 Honda Odyssey and it has air bags everywhere except the back window. So it almost seems like a waste to have the SICT. And the SICT pillows actually kind push a very tiny bit on the side console in.the van. Grrrr...I am having such buyers remorse from getting it.

I also bought the Advocate and now am thinking that was a waste also...especially with those SICT pillows on that also. But there is really not much I can do about it now...unless I would try and sell them, but I don't know how well that would go or if anyone would. Crap...this makes me so angry at myself. I let myself get all caught up in the SICT on the Frontier and the Advocate...thinking that it would be SO much better and I am starting to think it is not.

Sorry for the vent...guess I am just looking for some advice on what you would all do! Thanks!

ADS

armyfam

Did you see the recent thread about the advocate testing? it did awesome. I think you made great seat choices :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Did you see the recent thread about the advocate testing? it did awesome. I think you made great seat choices :)

It looks like it did awesome at whatever speed that was. Without data, it's hard to say it actually did well. As with all other seats, it passes testing.

Wendy

todzwife

It looks like it did awesome at whatever speed that was. Without data, it's hard to say it actually did well. As with all other seats, it passes testing.

Wendy

Way to poop in her EAster basket, Wendy:p

I dont think you made a bad decision,
OP...but if they are hogging too much room you can probably sell and recoup some of the money and get something else.

armyfam

todzwife said:
Way to poop in her EAster basket, Wendy:p

I dont think you made a bad decision,
OP...but if they are hogging too much room you can probably sell and recoup some of the money and get something else.

LOL- look- I don't have an Advocate and have no intention of buying one but I don't think it's a bad choice of a seat and I would LOVE to have more info about the testing. :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Mmmm, easter turds. hehe

I'd love to know more about the testing as well. The US currently has no side impact standards. It'd be nice if we did. But even then, even with frontal videos, the big question is, "What injuries did the dummy sustain?" It may look bad, but be fine. There are some videos of misuse compared to correct, and in those it's easy to see that one is worse than the other, but even so, we don't know *how* much worse, just that if you have the straps below the child's shoulders forward facing it WILL have a visible affect, which can increase injury.

I wouldn't buy an Advocate for me (the last Britax I bought is expiring in November, and I will be sad), and I don't often recommend it, but I also think that it's a seat that has passed testing and fits smaller kids well. The width? Well, there's no getting around that. Both of those seats are wide. But neither are bad seats. I love the Frontier, and I've thought about getting one for Piper sometimes. It's fantastic to have the option to harness my nearly 10 year old. And it's the tallest booster out there. For the price and a nine year lifespan you get a lot of seat for the dollar. But the airbags do make both of these seats wide.

Wendy

MAJ

Newmommy, I'm sure you could sell them if you decided to, but I'd feel great knowing my kids had that extra cushion on their seats! After seeing the Advocate crash tests, I will be purchasing one, and I'm hoping to upgrade our current Frontier 85 to one with SICT.

MommyShannon

Do your kids ride in any other cars ever? I'd love the added protection in a car without the back airbags. I don't feel like the SICT is needed in our van either with the side curtain airbags. One thing those videos definitely show me is how important rf as long as possible is.

Keeanh

The Advocate won't last as long rear-facing as a lot of other less-expensive seats, so you could likely sell the Advocate and get a longer-lasting seat without losing any money on the "swap".

As for the Frontier, you could probably sell it for close to what a regular Frontier costs. So, yeah, you'll pay more in the end than if you hadn't bought the SICT seats. But going forward from here, you could probably "swap" the seats you have now for just about any other seats you'd rather have.

bnsnyde

Don't have buyer's remorse! :) We have the Advocate and I LOVE it. I wouldn't change it for anything. We also have the 2011 Odyssey. You can even RF tether it by removing trim on the van, which just snaps off.

And I am going to buy a Frontier85 and I want SICT very, very much! I have to see if it would fit because we do 3 in a row. Advocate (RF), Frontier 85 SICT, Frontier85 regular in middle (I don't think 2 SICT would fit side by side).

I wish I knew! I can't wait to bring it somewhere to see if the SICT will fit outboard next to a regular 85 in the middle.

You have my dream seats!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC