Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

4 kids and a 5 seater car...who goes where?

Question regarding child placement.

k-almost 13yr 60" 82lb seat belt
    b-11yr 58" 80lb seat belt
    r-almost 10 yrs 57" 62lb seat belt
    e-7.5yrs 50" 50 FPSV HBB
    s-22mo 35" 24lb cosco scenera

car is 2008 mazda speed3

These are the kids who will occasionally ride in my husbands car.
    Typically it's the 4 older and he has our almost 13 y/o in the front seat..the air bags sensor shut off.

IF he were to take our youngest with him(and leave one of the others home) where should they be placed? I have not yet tried to install the scenera40RF in the car RFing, but I *might* have to use it FF...but again..this might be a once in a blue moon occurrence.
    Heather Mom to k-19 ;b-18 yr;r-17yrs;e-14yrs -seatbelts;

s-9yrs 55" 61lb Evenflo BK booster;D3yr 40" 32lb ff evenflo sureride in 2011 Sienna

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: 4 kids and a 5 seater car...who goes where?

The oldest should be in the front. So with the four oldest, K. If the four youngest, B.

I wouldn't want a child under 10 in the front seat unless it was unavoidable. Really, I'd try to avoid it until at least 13, if 15 (recommended) isn't doable.

The Scenera should fit rear-facing, I'd think. So I'd put it wherever it fits best, center or passenger. The booster probably outboard to give a little more room...
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crazy

Does R pass the 5 step test?

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by careynj View Post
    Does R pass the 5 step test?
    Yes he does in the back seat. The seats are more shallow and he actually fits in the seat belt MUCH better without a NBB than with a NBB. Unfortunately it's true of his belt fit in my van too.

I tried both ways with a couple different boosters we had before I finally allowed him to go without a booster. I was hoping to keep him in, but he is 4' 9" and he does 5 step and most importantly the seat belts didn't fit well with the boosters.

s-9yrs 55" 61lb Evenflo BK booster;D3yr 40" 32lb ff evenflo sureride in 2011 Sienna

Carseat Crazy

Excellent he's about the same size as my nephew who does not pass (he's short torso'd though) so just thought I'd check.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by careynj View Post
    Excellent he's about the same size as my nephew who does not pass (he's short torso'd though) so just thought I'd check.
    Yeah I'd guess he has a long torso? He outgrew his regent by height almost 2 yrs ago so he was not quite 8 yrs old at the time. I was CRUSHED when I happened to notice his shoulders were over the top slots because he was only about 45lb at the time. I moved him to a britax monarch in our old van because he did NOT 5 step in that---but when we bought our 2011 Sienna in November he did 5 step in that and I couldn't get any of our 3 boosters to work in the back for him to get the nice fit of no booster. In my mind, he should still be in SOMETHING, but nothing we tried has proven to work as well as just a seat belt. He even 5 steps in my MILs Vue that she recently got. I was bummed because I really wanted him in something with her accident history

Carseat Crazy

I;m guessing that if the 2 youngest are in the car you'd want to set them each outboard, and let the next skinniest kid sit between, but really, wherever everyone fits is great!

I'm curious why you're bummed the the seatbelt fit is better w/o the NBB than with -- since the whole purpose of boostering it to give a good seatbelt fit, as long as he 5 steps he's very safe.

DD 5 stepped in our center back seat (1998 subaru forrester at the time!) better than she fit with boosters outboard, so we moved her there younger than we might otherwise have -- but she was our only, so it worked!

Michelle

Does the car have a shoulder belt in the middle back?
    Sarah, 29y, 5'11" mommy of:Ellyza, 8mos, 22#, 30in, 18M torso, RF Radian R120 or Graco MyRide 65
    Mary, 7y0m, 45#, 44.5in, 17in torso, FF in a Frontier85
    Ireland, 3y9m, 36#, 40In, 15.5in torso, RF in a Radian RXT or Graco Size4Me70

Riding in a 2006 Buick Terraza

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by mdsvc89 View Post
    I;m guessing that if the 2 youngest are in the car you'd want to set them each outboard, and let the next skinniest kid sit between, but really, wherever everyone fits is great!

I'm curious why you're bummed the the seatbelt fit is better w/o the NBB than with -- since the whole purpose of boostering it to give a good seatbelt fit, as long as he 5 steps he's very safe.

DD 5 stepped in our center back seat (1998 subaru forrester at the time!) better than she fit with boosters outboard, so we moved her there younger than we might otherwise have -- but she was our only, so it worked!

Michelle
    The move from booster to car belt was much easier for me to take but the move out of the regent to booster was harder. I had my other 2 in boosters until we got the new van and they were almost 11 and 12. It just feels like he should be in something because he is younger and he is slightest in build of our children. It's actually a major reason why I got a regent because he is long/lean but lightweight. I put him in it when he was about 35lb but had outgrown all the other seats and he outgrew it when he hit 50lb.

Rationally, I know car seats/booster seats don't guarantee more safety than a properly positioned seat belt and a child who 5 steps; however, the thought keeps creeping in that he's only 9. I know..sounds a little crazy but it just seems like he is doing EVERYTHING earlier than his older siblings and growing up too fast for me!

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by MaKoski View Post
    Does the car have a shoulder belt in the middle back?
    yes...3pt seat belts in all 5 positions...You made me think of something though...currently we've had our daughter boostered in the middle back..I'm not sure if it has an adjustable headrest back there....but I do know all other positions do.