40...or 41?

tjham

I was reading a thread on another board and someone said their child had just hit 40 lbs. Everyone basically said, "OMG, you have to get them out of that seat right now!"
Now, my granddaughter usually stays at the same weight for MONTHS, so when she hits 40 lbs. I know it will be awhile before she goes higher, although most of her seats are HWH seats so it won't matter that much for her.

But for other kids, when do they have to quit using the seat?(keeping in mind how the harness fits, of course.) I think they should be able to use it while they are still 40 lbs.

So stop using the seat right
AT 40 or at one pound OVER 40?

ADS

lovinwaves

When she gets on the scale with a full belly, fully clothed, and with shoes one and it reads 40lbs, she needs a new seat. Not 40.2 or 40.8. 40 is the magic number, nothing over :)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
When she gets on the scale with a full belly, fully clothed, and with shoes one and it reads 40lbs, she needs a new seat. Not 40.2 or 40.8. 40 is the magic number, nothing over :)

Yep, ITA with that.

My dd hovers 30.2, 29.8 and the rf'ing limit on her MA is 30lbs (I'm in CAnada.) So she is ff'ing. The weight limits on ff'ing seats are even more important though... and given the difference that can happen between scales and how unhealthy it would be for a child to be weighed constantly, I'd just get another seat if kiddo wasn't old enough/mature enough for a booster.

(I know some people weigh their kids regularly, but I know I had to actually quit weighing myself regularly because my dd was getting obsessed with the scale... even if they don't understand the numbers, I don't think it's healthy for kids to be on and off a scale every day or every car trip. Much safer and healthier to just say, ok, you're at the limit, new seat time.)

my3girls

ITA with the other comments, but just wanted to add how I make this type of decision. I WILL NOT have a "What if.....?" moment, EVER!! I would drive myself totally insane IF something happened and I had to look back and ask myself "What if I had done it this way?" all the time. It's just not worth it!! Besides, getting a new carseat is FANTASTIC!!!

Loves2sing

I agree with the previous posts as well. I don't think I could live with myself if anything ever happen to Jenna and there was something else I could have done better to keep her safer. I know other Moms have gone through this and lived, but I am sure the guilt would be to overwhelming for me to bear.:twocents:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I agree with everyone as well... 40lbs on the dot and you're out of that seat. Actually, I'd probably be switching them up at 38 - 39 lbs just to be on the safe side.

I don't weigh my kids all the time (used to be anorexic and will NOT take my kids down that path) so if the scale ever hits 38 - 39lbs they will come out so that I don't miss a growth spurt and all of a sudden they are riding around in a 40lb seat at 41lbs.

We have plenty of seats that go above 40lbs in Canada... there is a wide selection and price range that there is really no excuse to not move up to the next seat at 38ish lbs. Just my :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC