Question Technician Training

ctfirstaid

CPS Technician
Hi Everyone,

I would love to find out more about the training techs out there have taken.
How was the course, did you get much hands on time?
The test, was it open book or open discussion?
Have you been able to re cert

ADS

jjordan

Are you asking about the training in the US? (I see you're in Canada.) In the US, it is a 3-4 day course with a standard curriculum. The format is a combination of classroom lecture and hands-on activities. It ends with a seat check event. There are several quizzes, which are individual, but open book.

There is a link here to the policies and procedures manual.

Lemonade

What she said. I took it 2 months ago. If you've spent any time hanging around here, it will be a breeze. I was honestly a little bored and could have taught 3/4 of it myself but I still enjoyed doing the course and it was beneficial. I was the only one in my class who was not there for work (police officers and occupational therapists from CHOP were the others.) The one thing I didn't know was all the different types of seat belts. It's rare to come across some of them because they've been phased out, but good to have that knowledge just incase.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
We follow a 3 day curriculum now, but it was 4 days when I was certified as a tech. Quizzes are open book. No discussion during those or during outside skills assessments. There are several demonstrations and activities inside and outside with hands on exercises as well.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Recertification is required every two years. You need to have an instructor check you off on five different seats (infant, rear facing, forward facing harnessed, LATCH), do several hours of community service, six continuing education credits, and pay $50. Over two years it's really not hard to do all of that. It's not uncommon in my area to have day long classes that knock out all six CEUs. Or do webinars for some of them. If you do a two hour long public check that can get many of your seat checks and your community service done.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC