Advocate crash test

MAJ

In my incessant research of seats the last few days, I came across this on youtube... it's a crash test with a Britax Advocate. I was very impressed! It looks to me like the side impact cushions definitely help, which is pushing me towards the Advocate, away from the Boulevard (which also looks like a great seat). Would love to get some feedback from you techs!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr5SMuq5ncY"]Child Seat Crash Test - Britax Advocate - Rear Facing - YouTube[/ame]

ADS

tiggercat

tiggercat said:
Omg the radian 65 FF crash test looks awful...

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

It came up on the suggested videos, by the same person who uploaded the original linked video. I can't figure out how to link you from my iPod, sorry! The dummy hits their head rather hard on the side wall during impact.

gsdguenter

Gah! I can't find it :( I see a million Britax ones.

ETA: Is it this one?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnyfZZogVbI&feature=channel&list=UL"]Child Seat Crash Test - Radian 65 - YouTube[/ame]

That's horrible :(

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
MAJ - If you have the room to accommodate the extra width on the Advocate there is no doubt in my mind that the impact cushion technology would be beneficial in a SI (side impact) crash. If you're planning to install the carseat in the rear center seating position then either the Adv or the Blvd would likely provide excellent protection. However, if you need to put the child in one of the outboard positions (or, if like me - you have a minivan with captains chairs so there is no center seating position), then I certainly wouldn't talk you out of the Advocate if it was in your budget.

MAJ

Kecia, thanks for responding. The seat will be placed in an outboard position. I have a newer Volvo with rear airbags, but my husband's car doesn't have airbags in the back. My daughter doesn't ride in his car too much but, when she does, I'd like a little extra protection there. I'd read a lot of debate about the side impact cushions and whether they really do much, but the crash test video (in my opinion) shows them as quite an advantage. Again, I'm not a tech, but I am a little car seat crazy. :)

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Kecia, thanks for responding. The seat will be placed in an outboard position. I have a newer Volvo with rear airbags, but my husband's car doesn't have airbags in the back. My daughter doesn't ride in his car too much but, when she does, I'd like a little extra protection there. I'd read a lot of debate about the side impact cushions and whether they really do much, but the crash test video (in my opinion) shows them as quite an advantage. Again, I'm not a tech, but I am a little car seat crazy. :)

Welcome! If you're a little carseat crazy then you're in good company here. People like to debate a lot of things (in case you haven't noticed- lol) but the truth is that *anything* that absorbs energy during a crash is going to hopefully transfer that energy away from the occupant. You cannot destroy or reduce crash energy - only channel it and absorb it somewhere else.

Thanks for posting the link to the video!

jess71903

Ambassador
WOW there are a ton of videos. I watched the Evenflo Titan and EFTA, True Fit, Combi Turn or whatever it is, Recaro Signo, and others.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't think it looks much different from this.

http://youtu.be/C10hE5wrMVM?t=1m26s

Though granted, there are side curtain airbags there.

I agree with Kecia that I can't see them hurting at all. My main issue is that the Britax is shorter than most other seats, and rear facing and a five point harness provide the most protection against side impacts. So if you have a tall child, the Advocate may be "less safe" in that it doesn't let you rear face as long as other seats. Yes, I'm sure it'll do its job. But for long enough?

Wendy

featherhead

The Advocate and R65 videos can't really be compared, cause the Advocate is rear-facing, and the R65 is forward-facing. We all know that rear-facing provides a lot more protection in a crash :) Though I have no doubt that the cushions on the side of the Advocate help.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor

I agree with Kecia that I can't see them hurting at all. My main issue is that the Britax is shorter than most other seats, and rear facing and a five point harness provide the most protection against side impacts. So if you have a tall child, the Advocate may be "less safe" in that it doesn't let you rear face as long as other seats. Yes, I'm sure it'll do its job. But for long enough?

Wendy

But let's be honest - it's not that simple either. Just being rear-facing doesn't guarantee good protection in a SI crash. If the child is rear-facing in an outboard seating position and if there isn't adequate support on the sides of the shell, then the child's head may contact the hard interior of the door, or the pillar, or be impacted by the intruding object (vehicle/tree/pole, etc). Most often the vehicle's side airbags do not deploy down low enough to protect the head of a child occupant so we really need to rely more on the CR to protect in these types of crashes.

Did you happen to see the post-impact dent in the dummy's head in the rear-facing AOE video? If that was a real crash with a real child - that would likely be a brain injury.

Optimal protection in side impact crashes involves more than just the seat's placement and direction. There are a LOT of variables that go into every real-world crash and rear-facing is better in the majority of those crashes since the majority also have a frontal velocity component. But rear-facing in itself isn't enough to provide optimal protection in this type of crash. You need structure too - and the more, the better.

Just my :twocents:

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yep, that's the one. I wonder where these videos came from?

I wonder too - see the note at the beginning about it being compiled and edited from public domain resources? It's not Canadian based on the seats being tested - NHTSA?

tiggercat

Pixelated said:
I wonder too - see the note at the beginning about it being compiled and edited from public domain resources? It's not Canadian based on the seats being tested - NHTSA?

It says NHTSA in the notes in the videos, but I though they didn't do formal SIP testing and that all looks pretty specific (I.e same speeds, test sled config, etc).

tiggercat

wendytthomas said:

Wendy

Isn't that a frontal offset, not a true SIP like the videos posted above?

tiggercat

featherhead said:
The Advocate and R65 videos can't really be compared, cause the Advocate is rear-facing, and the R65 is forward-facing. We all know that rear-facing provides a lot more protection in a crash :) Though I have no doubt that the cushions on the side of the Advocate help.

If you watch a bunch of the videos, some of the RF seats also show significant head contact with the rigid barrier. I didn't see a RF radian video, that would be interesting to see... And maybe an RXT one to see how big of a difference those wings make...

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
If you watch a bunch of the videos, some of the RF seats also show significant head contact with the rigid barrier. I didn't see a RF radian video, that would be interesting to see... And maybe an RXT one to see how big of a difference those wings make...

There is an RXT one there somewhere, but I think it was FF too (ETA: never mind - it was a Diono/SKJP one that popped up afterwards). Some of those were making me ill to watch, as the blue dust flies out of the dummy's head upon contact.

Check out the RF Scenera one - it appears to be better (i.e. less alarming to me casually watching at home!) than some of the others, especially the AOE seat - maybe that headrest pushes the child's head forwards just enough to matter in this type of test. The True Fit was awful as well. The My Ride was impressive.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC