Some better options to suggest when parents want to use the bundle me....

steph

http://www.kiddopotamus.com/p_fsposh.php

http://www.kiddopotamus.com/p_pop.php

The first one looks like a good option and the second one seems to be okay since it doesn't go under the baby's body just feet or outside of carseat and hooks onto the side of the carseat with velcro. I like how the second one goes with a convertable seat too.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2302941&cp=2255983.2256187.2256192&view=all&parentPage=family

Unless I am missing something from the pics these may be some decent recs when parents want to use the bundle me.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
This is the kind of thing I always recommend to parents. We get very very cold winters here, and parents worry about how to keep their babies warm enough. I always recommend they buckle kiddo in properly, bundle with warm blankets over top, and then put a pop-over/shower cap style cover over top to hold the blankets in place and provide that extra whole body warmth from having the enclosed space.

Jolly Jumper makes something similar that is just fleece and sells for $10. I've seen some similar things at Wal-Mart lately too, so I'm glad to see this type thing become more readily available. :)

eta: Here's a pic of the jolly jumper one in use. It's on the snugride in this picture, but also fits on the SS1 - although it's a tighter fit. It's basically a piece of fleece with elastic around the edge and a peek-a-boo flap. ;)

outlookdeliverypictures018.jpg

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Aren't these thought to be okay, too? Since it's just 1 thin layer under the baby, similar to a fleece jacket or sweatshirt?
http://www.kiddopotamus.com/p_swdltrvl.php

I could see something like that argued both ways. In some aspects it's not unlike wearing a fleece sweater - but when you combine that extra fleece with the winter clothing (undershirt & probably wearing a fleece shirt,) then you are adding another layer of compression.

The other issue is, that for small babies, the top part on the back may come up higher than their shoulders, so it would either have to be folded in - increasing the thickness behind baby again, or else could still potentially interfere with adjusting the harness.

Then there's the whole issue of not every baby liking to be swaddled, so even if it was safe and fit the baby and didn't interfere with the harness or anything, the actual useful period of the product would be very limited.

So my response, and what I would tell a parent, is that I wouldn't recommend something like this because you have other options that are both safer and provide more versatility as your child grows.

From a safety standpoint, I'm not completely comfortable with it either. There are worse things out there, but the fact is that most parents don't tighten the harness enough as it is, and even a layer of thin fleece could make the harness be tightened even less and increase the risk of ejection. It's just not something I'd professionally recommend to parents.

cryswilkins

We had the first one for my DD and loved it. When it was really cold we would put blankets all around her inside as well as on the outside. The bundle me is so thick. I see a lot of really sweaty kids in them because they have that layer under them. Also the top doesn't come off of them all the way.

natysr

One of the members of this board also sells carseat ponchos. You lift the back of it up and put them in the seat and drape the back over the back of the carseat. I thought that was a neat concept.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I could see something like that argued both ways. In some aspects it's not unlike wearing a fleece sweater - but when you combine that extra fleece with the winter clothing (undershirt & probably wearing a fleece shirt,) then you are adding another layer of compression.

The other issue is, that for small babies, the top part on the back may come up higher than their shoulders, so it would either have to be folded in - increasing the thickness behind baby again, or else could still potentially interfere with adjusting the harness.

Then there's the whole issue of not every baby liking to be swaddled, so even if it was safe and fit the baby and didn't interfere with the harness or anything, the actual useful period of the product would be very limited.

So my response, and what I would tell a parent, is that I wouldn't recommend something like this because you have other options that are both safer and provide more versatility as your child grows.

From a safety standpoint, I'm not completely comfortable with it either. There are worse things out there, but the fact is that most parents don't tighten the harness enough as it is, and even a layer of thin fleece could make the harness be tightened even less and increase the risk of ejection. It's just not something I'd professionally recommend to parents.

I think Kashi used one last winter for Bear, IIRC. I would personally use one, but I would use it as the winter clothing and not have other extra layers under it. Then, I would use blankets on top of it.
I wouldn't recommend it to parents because of the reasons you state, unless I really know the parents and know they will use it correctly. So, I can see where you wouldn't want to recommend it professionally.
Am I the only one that hates those pop-over shower cap styles?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC