Question Backless Booster or Back Window blocked?!

U

Unregistered

Hi Needing to switch my 6 year old to the 3rd row in our Ford Flex when baby #3 arrives in a few months. She has the Graco Naltutis as a high back boster right now. But when it gets moved into the 3rd row the high back part takes up ALOT of my back window visability!
I want what is safest for her, just not sure if she's big enough to be switched to the backless or if there are other highback boosters out there that arent as high. She is average height for her age- just those wings stuck up so much!
Thanks!!

ADS

careynj

The nautilus does seem to really block th driver's view in some cars. What about a turbo booster? Also Graco. The head wings aren't as large so there is less visual obstruction.

boneheaderss

I'm a person that gets very easily nervous when I cannot see out the back window. That being said, I would probably put her in a backless booster to add more visibility provided that she has a headrest that goes up to the tips of her ears and that the shoulder belt would fall naturally on the shoulder. A 6 year old may or may not have a tall enough torso for that to happen.

The Graco Nautilus is either a hit or miss when it comes to correcting seat belt fit.

How about the Graco Turbobooster?

(Sorry, didn't know that someone else already responded...)

Last edited:

jacqui276

Does she frequently sleep in the car? If not, I would put her in a backless. You want to safely be able to see while you are driving. Most (if not all?) backless boosters come with a belt positioner so even those with shorter torsos can still have the seat belt adjusted to fit them.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I would keep her in a hbb for another year or 2 or until the back is outgrown. I use my mirrors lots and double check my blind spots. I have kids out of boosters that are taller then our kid in a booster.

henrietta

Most backless boosters come w/a little strap for adjusting the shoulder belt correctly, but it's definitely more inconvenient and difficult for a 6 yr old to use than just getting the shoulder belt thru the little holder. I'd stick w/a highback--even if you go out and buy a Graco Turbo Booster or an Evenflo highback booster. Both of those are less obstructing.

I'm definitely happier w/a 6 yr old staying in a highback booster than a no back booster when possible, but if you decide that you just cannot cope w/those other highbacks (try them first!), at the least, your Flex has a lot of safety features and a no back booster is safe when used properly.

hths

henrietta

christineka

The nautilus is huge! It doesn't fit in my civic with the headrest all the way up. I can fit other, taller hb boosters fully adjusted in the civic. I would go get a dedicated booster and use that. A have a bunch of big kids these days and rely mostly on my side mirrors.

Kat_Momof3

Long term, when she continues growing, even without a booster, SHE will block your ability to see out the back.

however, what I'd do is get her a lower profile highback booster to give you a bit more time to gradually adjust to using those mirrors instead of looking out the back windshield.

Ones to try would be the Recaro Vivo, the Britax Parkway sg/sgl, the Graco Turbobooster, and The Compass B570

How tall is she? aka - where are her shoulders in relation to the top slots for harness mode? where does she carry her height... is she leggy or does she have a long torso?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC