Britax Marathon for $97 at Target

MAJ

I was super excited to see the price, but I have questions! First, it is the Marathon Classic, so I am wondering if it is "up to snuff" safety-wise with the newer models? I don't care about the CS feature on the new ones, since I know to get the harness nice and snug on my own, and I don't mind that the FFing limit is only 65 instead of 70. My question is more to do with the actual body of the seat -- does the new Marathon have a broader shell around the head area? Also, how big of an advantage do you think the Safe Cell is on the newer ones? I have been shopping around for a new Britax convertible for my daughter since hers will expire soon, but I was really looking more at the Boulevard or Advocate for the extra side impact protection. At this price, though, I went ahead and bought it and figured I could think more about it later and return it if I changed my mind. We have been super happy with her current Marathon, which has been used by both of my children. Also, I plan to keep her rear-facing for a long time (she's currently 21 months), so I know that makes any seat inherently safer. Thoughts? My instinct is to keep the seat and use it rear-facing and, if I desire more head protection when she's turned to forward-facing, get a Frontier or something at that time. But, I would love any input!! Also, side note, the seat has a DOM of 5/2012. :)

ADS

T4K

It's really a great seat! And it lasts about a year longer rearfacing provided your child is still under the 35 lb limit. It installs well in most vehicles and is easy to move around vehicle to vehicle need be. Also, since it's the classic Marathon, there are tons of great older covers available at affordable prices!

hrice

I would pass up the Marathon entirely and grab the new Titan 65 for $99.99. It will last much longer both RF and FF.

It says not sold in stores but my Target had it last night. http://www.target.com/p/evenflo-titan-65-carseat-bishop/-/A-14068417

To answer your question reagarding safety, all seats pass the same tests so we don't have any way of saying if one is safer than another. The best we can do to keep our children safe in the car is to follow the reccomendations to rear face as long as possible, keep in a 5 point harness until they are ready for a booster, booster until they pass the 5 step test, and keep them in the back seat until at least 13 years old.

armywife12

The new Titan 65 has a 37" rf max height limit and only the first 3 harness slots are approved for rf (highest being only around 11.5") so it actually own't last longer rf than the Marathon. I would snatch up the Marathon in a heart beat if a 35lb rf weight limit will be sufficient.

djma

The new Titan 65 has a 37" rf max height limit and only the first 3 harness slots are approved for rf (highest being only around 11.5") so it actually own't last longer rf than the Marathon. I would snatch up the Marathon in a heart beat if a 35lb rf weight limit will be sufficient.

Evenflo is flexible with the RF height restrictions. I just called them.

I did not ask about which slots were allowed for RF (had 3 kids asking me questions while I'm on the phone. LOL)

Stelvis

djma said:
Evenflo is flexible with the RF height restrictions. I just called them.

I did not ask about which slots were allowed for RF (had 3 kids asking me questions while I'm on the phone. LOL)

My 9 month old would already be above the top allowable RF slot (12.5" torso, 30" overall height). By the time she got 7" taller, the straps would be so far below her shoulders they'd be sliding off. Let alone by the time she got to within 1" of the top of the shell.

T4K

Quality wise, I'd much prefer the Marathon. I'm not in the Britax Bubble but for under $100, it's a good seat for a good price.

arly1983

Quality wise, I'd much prefer the Marathon. I'm not in the Britax Bubble but for under $100, it's a good seat for a good price.

:yeahthatlove:

For $100, I would get it esp considering the ease of installation but then I have always loved the classic marathon65/ra50 (not so much the new gen marathon/ra55...)

MAJ

Well, as of now, it's installed in my car... didn't clip the registration tag yet incase I change my mind. ;) Really, though, we have it rear-facing with LATCH and also top-tethered, and it is in there rock-solid!! We have loved the Marathon we're replacing, and I haven't had a single complaint with it, so I think we'll keep the new one. When it's time to turn my daughter forward-facing, I'll probably move up to something with head wings. I can probably sell this seat used for close to what I bought it for.

Thanks for all the input. I wouldn't consider myself a Britax snob, but I love the 3 we have owned so far! I also check out new seats of other brands that come out, but I just go with what I know and love. :)

hrice

armywife12 said:

I totally missed the thread that discussed that. I'm so bummed that you can only use the bottom 3 slots RF. :(

I'm glad you are happy with your new seat OP.

MAJ

So, I've decided to return the Marathon and go with my original notion to get either a Boulevard or Advocate. We have loved our Marathon through the years, but with more attention given now to the severity of side impact crashes, I really feel like my daughter needs some wings next to her head. Whether or not they would make a huge difference if ever needed, it makes me feel better to know they're there. :)

We've still got several months before our current Marathon expires, so I'm going to be shopping around for a good price on the Blvd. or Advocate -- anyone know the lowest a Blvd. or Advocate goes for? Albee Baby has an Advocate right now for about $250, and that seems like a great deal compared to everyone else.

T4K

Just FYI...rearfacing in ANY properly installed seat gives awesome protection from side impact crashes. Rearfacing is awesome. :)

If you really want headwings, then get them. :) I like them, too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC