Needs convertible seat help

meggi1123

Good morning! I wanted to ask if any of you had some experience with a couple of these car seats. I've been researching convertible car seats because DS is just about to outgrow his infant seat at 5.5 months. A lot of the info I've gathered were comments from forums here. We have currently a Chicco Key Fit 30, which we've really liked, but maximum weight is 30 lbs (at least I had the foresight to go with the bigger one!) and maximum height is 30 inches. DS is currently 20 lbs. and between 27 and 28 inches. Because he is still so young, I need to get a convertible that will rear face with at least a higher max height limit. I'm thinking the weight won't be as much of an issue once he really gets mobile, but you never know.

I have a 06 Honda Civic, DH a 07 Chrysler Sebring; we've toyed with the idea of getting a new slightly larger vehicle like a crossover, but we aren't quite ready to jump into that just yet since we have paid both vehicles in full. Maybe in a couple years and maybe when trying for #2 we will really go for the new vehicle. Anyhow, from what I've been able to gather, convertible seats that will fit will be the Britax Marathon or Boulevard (same size, features slightly different), the Graco My Ride 65, and the Diono Radian (formerly Sunshine) that all have some of the higher max height and weight limits. I think the Boulevard would be my first choice, however it is a bit pricey (not that this is a factor that will really sway the decision, but it is something to consider), and I'm also reading that the leg room for rear facing leaves something to be desired. Since we are about to reach height limit in in fant set already, that is a concern to me. In that case, I've read the Graco My ride is better for the rear facing leg room, it is also about $100 cheaper, but bulkier from what I understand (I know Britax is reported one of the safest and, no, you can't put a price on that, but in the US they do follow the same guidelines for safety). The attractive thing about the Radian is that it is more narrow and could have an even better fit in my car (also folds flat for storage because of the steel frame!), seems to have great safety ratings too, and it is about the same price or more as the britax. Anyone, have any experience, thoughts, or comments about any of those seats especially with a honda civic being the primary car for the seat? In addition, do particular models of the same seat make differences in usage that you've noticed to be an issue? I'm also open to suggestions of other seats. A friend suggested this as a cost-effective solution: <http://www.target.com/p/evenflo-titan-elite-convertible-car-seat-santa-monica/-/A-13306509> My concern with this is the 35 lb. max rear facing limit. I know I've asked a lot. Any help is appreciated!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are no safety ratings. All carseats pass the same tests.

The Radians are significantly taller than the Britaxes. Ignore stated heights. They don't matter because torso height and proportions plays such a big role in the safe fitting of a child to a seat. If your 27" child has his head over the top of the Chicco, he's unsafe and it's outgrown already. If your 27" child has six inches above his head, you've got months and months and months of safe use of the seat ahead of you. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=30201 So the Radians are the tallest of the three you mentioned. They also have a lot of leg room, and will last the longest forward facing. The My Ride is the next tallest, with the most leg room. Then the Britaxes are the shortest. Given that the Britaxes are some of the most expensive, they very quickly do not look the most economical.

I'd look at the Radian and My Ride. Some Targets have the My Ride at around $80 this week, so you might check into that.

Wendy

meggi1123

Wow, thanks Wendy! DS is not over the shell yet, but I seriously doubt we have 6 inches from his head to top of shell; he's a long torso kid at this point. I'm looking at your link and will measure this evening. I was glad you said the radians are so tall, the look tall, but the indicated height seemed shockingly short to me. Thanks for that info, I'll look into the My Ride!

meggi1123

Thanks for letting me know about the my ride clearance. I was excited to hear that. I've checked 3 area targets, all sold out! :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC