3 yr old bothering the baby!

juliet108

I'm in a Honda Odyssey with 3 kids. The middle row has my 3 yr old boy RF in the middle seat in a Radian. Behind the driver is my 11 month old RF of course. My 5 year old is in the 3rd row on the passenger side.

My 3 yr old keeps messing with the baby - kicking her feet, grabbing her arms, etc. She doesn't like it and screams her head off! I really can't separate them, because we need that outside seat open to be able to slide forward for my 5 yr old to get in and out. I can't move the 3 yr old to the back row because I need to buckle him, and wouldn't be able to reach back there (unless I moved him FF).

I was wondering if I could slide something between the seats like a barrier to keep him from touching the baby? Maybe just a piece of cardboard? I'd have to secure it somehow because he'd probably just pull it out.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

ADS

Brianna

I would take out of one the captain's chairs and move the 3 yo to the 3rd row. You should be able to reach him easily with a captain's chair out of the way.

EmmaGrace'sMom

My only though is to put the 3yo on the other captains chair, remove the 8th seat, and have the 5yo go under the 3yo's seat. (Or FF the 3yo so the 5yo doesn't have to crawl under)

What model is your Ody?

EmmaGrace'sMom

If you had the RN on the captains chair FF with LATCH you could still slide the captains chair forward for access, you just couldn't lean the seat back forward.

MommyShannon

If it is a '10 or earlier I'd remove the 8th seat and slide the captains chair over. They won't be able to reach as much. If you normally don't have a front passenger either, you can slide that seat forward, put the baby behind it and slide the seat forward. That should separate them enough to not reach.

juliet108

Wow, you guys are fast! =)

I need to keep the other captain's chair in the 2nd row open because I will be moving my 5 yr old there shortly. She's about to start school and she'll need to be there for school drop off and pick up.

Hmm.. i might have just found my solution. 3 yr old to the 3rd row. 5 yr old and baby in the middle row.

bnsnyde

In my Odyssey, the RF 1-year-old pulls the hair of the FF 4-year-old, and she screams. Sigh. You can't win.

I have my 4 in a setup that works for us, so I don't want to change. Well, it works except for this! :)

boneheaderss

I'm in a Honda Odyssey with 3 kids. The middle row has my 3 yr old boy RF in the middle seat in a Radian. Behind the driver is my 11 month old RF of course. My 5 year old is in the 3rd row on the passenger side.

My 3 yr old keeps messing with the baby - kicking her feet, grabbing her arms, etc. She doesn't like it and screams her head off! I really can't separate them, because we need that outside seat open to be able to slide forward for my 5 yr old to get in and out. I can't move the 3 yr old to the back row because I need to buckle him, and wouldn't be able to reach back there (unless I moved him FF).

I was wondering if I could slide something between the seats like a barrier to keep him from touching the baby? Maybe just a piece of cardboard? I'd have to secure it somehow because he'd probably just pull it out.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

How about installing the Radian more reclined and the baby's infant seat more upright or the other way around? Would that help put some space between them?

Otherwise, I would go with the cardboard. Walmart sells some really thick poster cardboard that can work. I would poke a hole in the cardboard and get some thick string to secure it. You can also try and jam the car seats against the cardboard (with getting a secure installation).

Joyofbirth

How much does your 3 year old understand? Can you offer an incentive, like a sticker when you get there if he keeps his hands and feet in his own seat? Can you give him a job on the way, like look for blue cars, big trucks, yellow signs,etc, out the window opposite the baby?

CuddlyMonsters

I drive a 2011 Honda Odyssey.

I currently have my 5 year old (she is about to turn 6) in a Graco Turbobooster in the third row drivers side. She can buckle herself in etc. I still check that she is using the seat correctly though.

In my second row I have my son who is 3, 36lbs in the passenger side FF in a Britax Frontier (he is FF is a couple different reasons), then my 10 month old is RF in the jump seat in a Peg Perego Convertible right next to him. It actually works out since they face each other, they seem to be fine for the most part. Every so often I catch the baby prop her little foot up on her brother's seat, but he does not seem to mind. He will tell me if the baby is sleeping etc... He also loves to look out the window, so that kind of takes away from wanting to mess with the baby. Maybe you can try to switch the 3 year old and baby around. Give the 3 year old a window seat?

We have the captains chair behind the driver taken out to allow access to the third row. My 5 year old can get out fairly quickly on her own. It would not be impossible for drop off/pick up for her to be there. The best thing about that spot is that I can see her via rear view mirror.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Car-Seat.Org

luvsviola

We have an Odyssey. I have 3 year old behind the driver. 1 year old outboard passenger. 5 year old just crawls under the seats, and through the middle (I have the middle seat folded down) to get to the back. It works for us. My mom's Acadia only has captains chairs, so she had to do it in there, and we just told her to tough it out.

The baby can't be anywhere near the 3 year old. The 3 year old can't be near the 5 year old either. He is mean, and pulls hair, throws things, kicks, and hits, esp when he knows there is nothing I can do about it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC