Choosing a Radian.... Wings or Not?

Christie

DS 4 yo will be moving into a Radian here soon. He is outboard behind the drivers seat of our 12 passenger van.

Trying to decide if I should buy the RXT or the R120....

I "like" the fact that the RXT has the headwings since he'll be outboard (no ability to move him to the middle of that seat).

Any other thoughts? He'll be ERF'ing for another 15'ish pounds.... then will go FF.

ADS

armywife12

I had the XTSL and the headwings were a pain for us. They kept slipping down and I was constantly readjusting them. It was even worse for forward facing. If, for some reason, I ever had to purchase another Radian I would skip the headwings

ElfJewel

I have 3 XTSLs and 1 65SL. I wish I had gotten 80s instead of the XTSLs. The headwings are a pain and make it hard to puzzle them, and it's hard to keep them where I want them. J's shoulders were also starting to bump into them, so it wasn't going to last as long as one without the headwings.

Holly

I never had a radian with the headwings, but I've had 3 radians (still have two of them) without and I LOVE them! I think the headwings would bother me a lot! I'd only buy one with headwings if there were a huge clearance and it was a steep discount and there weren't any non-headwing seats available.

arly1983

Like the posters above, the wings were a big pain for us. I had an xtsl for my youngest two and the FFer had bad head slump with wings but none at all in our radian65. They didn't seem to bother the RFer. The wings on both seats would never stay were they were supposed to be. Drove me crazy. I love my wingless radians.

ETA: I also found my kids had more growing room in the radians without wings.

Last edited:

SynEpona

I have 2 without, and 1 with, and I put up with them b/c it was the only way to get the cover I wanted (plus, before I bought it, I didn't know that I wouldn't think they were all that great.)

DD turns 1 in 10 days and already tries to use them to grab onto when she doesn't want to get in her seat, and she's tall, so I can see them limiting her fit as she grows or crowding her shoulders.

If we ever buy another, it will be a wing-less model, though the 2 newer ones we have will expire as she's outgrowing them, so we may never need to buy more.

~*Jen*~

My daughter HATED seats with head wings. I thought she was just a screamer. Nope. We got an 80SL last year and she loves it. She feels less confined and it makes for a nicer ride.

gsdguenter

I have 4 radians, 2 XTS and 2 XTSLs. We live the wings, but since I've never had one without, maybe I don't know what I'm missing lol

kaharris83

We have an XTSL and we did find the wings slipped a bit when we had to have them pushed all the way up since DS wasn't tall enough for them. They actually sent us a new set of wings and instructions for changing them out. Haven't had a problem since.

cbj

Well you shouldn't. My sister has problems with her daughter's headings for her Radian. They slip too much and you have to adjust them a lot! Big pain in the a** when FF. :thumbs down: DO NOT get then.

Kel

What van do you drive? We just bought a 12 passenger e 350 a few wks ago. It's a 2011. My xrt just came today and was installed in minutes! Very happy!

I got wings because mine has to be outboard also, and we don't have side air bags. We have 6 kids and It's just easier for me to put the RFing kids out of the way, lol. Our xrt is in the 2nd bench.

Another reason is my 3 big boys wanted the 2yr old little guy to have the Trekk cover, lol. I really like It and got It on special this week.

Kelley

armyfam

I have never had a problem with wings slipping. Dh car does not have side airbags and I felt much more comfortable having the wings.

Christie

Kel said:
What van do you drive? We just bought a 12 passenger e 350 a few wks ago. It's a 2011. My xrt just came today and was installed in minutes! Very happy!

I got wings because mine has to be outboard also, and we don't have side air bags. We have 6 kids and It's just easier for me to put the RFing kids out of the way, lol. Our xrt is in the 2nd bench.

Another reason is my 3 big boys wanted the 2yr old little guy to have the Trekk cover, lol. I really like It and got It on special this week.

Kelley

We have an '05 Chevy 12 passenger Express.

I really like it for longer trips but there are no side curtain air bags. That was why I was considering the XRT.

DS would be in bench one, drivers side outboard (w/a door immediately to his side.

laurengt

We have 2 XTSLs and I've had no problems with the headwings (yet). He's still RF so I can't speak to FF with the wings.

agave

I have an 80 and XTSL I'm indifferent about the head wings. You do get a much better color selection with wings.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC