Had my own little private check today

lovemybabybug

I got to a playdate today and my friend wad parked sitting in the car while her son slept. My heart dropped when I saw how he wad strapped. MA65, straps in the bottom slots, they were so twisted they looked like a rope. They were totally off his shoulders actually coming from behind his elbows. So when I got in the house I kept trying to figure out a way to approach her but didn't even have to. Another friend shouted across the room she needed me to fix something in her seat, so friend with the crappy usage asked if knew about seat and if I could help her, that she couldn't fix the straps and her soon kept getting out. So I got her seat out ( unlocked seatbelt, not top tethered, installed with the recline on), fixed the straps, taught her how to do it and when I went to install it, found out the recline was broken and wouldn't lock into the upright position so I told her to call britax. She tells me she checks his seat at the check in counter when they fly even though they buy him plane ticket because she didn't know she could bring it on the plane. :eek: So I fixed the straps, installed it, top tethered and off they went. She is calling britax about the recline and will be buying a new seat if they don't replace it because now she doesn't feel comfortable using the broken seat that was checked a bunch of times and will have me over to teach her how to install it.

Then I fixed a canopy on a SR 22...

...helped my friend tighten her symphony rf...

...reinstalled a BLVD FF that had been used rf for the past 3 years and it was installed with all the rf configurations ( reclined, low harness, upside down latch connectors...)

Then had a friend whose 28 month old is still rf thank me for educating her about erf:love:

And at the end I instructed them all to head to monthly car seat check at the hospital.

It was a good day!

ADS

lovemybabybug

way to go!

scary about the recline... that's why I don't like the idea of a checked carseat

I know! I really hope she does call britax! Or buys a new seat. They didn't take care of it at all. They let him eat yogurt in the car so there is yogurt all over the harness and cover, dried up jelly on the hugs and harness and she has never cleaned the seat in the 2 and a half years they have owned it. I told her about not washing the harness and stuff, if she decided to keep that seat she will definitely need a new set.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The broken recline is not likely from checking. It was usually caused by over tightening the rear facing tether. But I've met a couple of seats that just did it, even with proper parental use.

Wendy

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
The broken recline is not likely from checking. It was usually caused by over tightening the rear facing tether. But I've met a couple of seats that just did it, even with proper parental use.

Wendy

WWS (What Wendy Said ;)). The broken recline on "classic" Britax seats is/was really common, especially back in the day when Britax was telling people it was OK to adjust the recline WITH the tether. People were really ratcheting those suckers down :thumbsdown:

lovemybabybug

She didn't know she had to top tether it ff I seriously doubt she even had a clue about rf tethering. And I don't think he ever RFd in that seat so I am pretty positive that's not how it got broken. It wasn't from putting too much weight on it either because the seat was so lose you could make it touch the front seat by pulling on it and she really thought it was in correctly. She said she had watched videos on youtube on how to move the strap up and install it but she couldn't understand. So I really think this was one of those cases where they really don't know any better. I am just happy she was VERY receptive.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
She didn't know she had to top tether it ff I seriously doubt she even had a clue about rf tethering. And I don't think he ever RFd in that seat so I am pretty positive that's not how it got broken. It wasn't from putting too much weight on it either because the seat was so lose you could make it touch the front seat by pulling on it and she really thought it was in correctly. She said she had watched videos on youtube on how to move the strap up and install it but she couldn't understand. So I really think this was one of those cases where they really don't know any better. I am just happy she was VERY receptive.

I can 100% see how if could happen in baggage check (because those bases did wiggle around, and I could see something else hitting/laying heavily on it and breaking it). It was a VERY frequent problem, and I'm sure the second she mentions it they'll replace (though the checking is technically HER fault).

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Or offer a new seat at a discount. I had a previous client, I think their seat was four years old at the time, and they offered a new Marathon for $125.

Wendy

lovemybabybug

I am gonna let her know the MAs at Target are $97 so if they don't replace it she has a chance to snatch one up at half price.

Stelvis

lovemybabybug said:
I am gonna let her know the MAs at Target are $97 so if they don't replace it she has a chance to snatch one up at half price.

They aren't $97 at my Target...I looked yesterday.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC