WWY have done? Off-normal situation

morninglori

I had a situation this weekend that I wanted to check in her to see if I could have done differently or safer. It wasn't really an emergency, but it was pretty off-normal.

We (me, DH, DD, DS) were with another family this weekend (Mom, Dad, Son ).
Each family has vehicle and seats for kids. Well, while we were boating, Dad wiped out while tubing and dislocated his shoulder - Sheriff boat/ambulance called and Mom ended up going with Dad to ER in the ambulance, leaving Son-5yo with us.

The situation was how to get us all back to the cabin so that DH could drop me and the kids off so he could then go to the ER to get Mom and Dad (ER is about 40min away from lake). The ride from the lake to the cabin is about 15 miles away (opposite ER) on a twisty,turvy, steep mountain road. DH is not comfortable towing a trailer especially on twisty roads.

Vehicles:
03 Saturn VUE (our car) CA for DS and PW for DD. l/s in all backseat seating positons.
87 4Runner (their car) Century Next Step (yes I know VERY expired-I have told both Mom and Dad 3 years ago, but they still use it - it's also super loose with a rigged top tether on the rollbar :shrug-shoulders:). lap only belts in the back seat and lap/shoulder belts in the front seats.

I ended up having all three kids in the VUE with my DD in the middle without a booster. She was the oldest, but only 6.5 - maybe not the heaviest, but I knew she could sit properly and keep skooched all the way back. The Son was in her booster and DS was in his seat. I snapped a pic of her - she actually fell asleep on the way back to the cabin.
IMG_0815.jpg

The center VUE seat has a slot that helps the seatbelt fit smaller passengers- not too bad of a fit for her, and it's a locking latchplate - which looks huge on her small body. The lap belt looks a little high though. I wondered later if I should have had her sit on a couple of folded towels, would that have helped the lap fit a bit?

We could have detached the boat trailer and had DH drive the 4-Runner with the Son himself, but DH was not really keen on driving it as the carseat is not the only thing that is "rigged" and quirky and it being someone else's vehicle.

We made it back to the cabin without incident and Dad was fine after they popped his shoulder back in place. DH, Mom and Dad got back to the cabin 3 hours after we were dropped off.

Would you guys have done anything different?

ADS

katymyers

I think you did what was best. In an emergency sometimes you have to make due. I'm glad nothing happened and everyone was ok.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would maybe have had her sit with her legs crossed if possible, to bring the belt lower on her hips. Or asked them to leave the seat, if he fits it and it's just expired. Or found a way for someone to stay with him and have someone else drive the car back to get him, making two trips maybe? I don't really know. There's not always a good choice to make.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I would maybe have had her sit with her legs crossed if possible, to bring the belt lower on her hips. Or asked them to leave the seat, if he fits it and it's just expired. Or found a way for someone to stay with him and have someone else drive the car back to get him, making two trips maybe? I don't really know. There's not always a good choice to make.

Or up on her knees. I had an emergency once where I sat DD1 on her knees for a short ride and the added height helped the belt to fit pretty well.

Really, what I would have done though is grabbed the Next step and used it as a booster.

4boysmom

I probably would have had the dad go to the ER by himself, mom drive back kiddo and then she drive back to ER to retrieve him. You ended up making that drive anyway I think correct?

Kat_Momof3

you did the best you could... this was an emergency... she fit better than her age and a typical seat in the back would be expected to.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
In an emergency situation you do what you think is right and work with what you have. You did fine and everyone is fine. Don't second guess yourself.

morninglori

Thanks for the feedback...I'm kind of doing a "lessons learned" exercise to see what other solutions were possible. My work has this process of "integrated safety management" and five core functions we pretty much have "ingrained in our brains" when doing work. I find that I apply this to quite a lot to projects and situations in my personal life as well.

Five Core Functions
1) Define the Scope of Work
2) Analyze the Hazards
3) Develop and Implement Hazard Controls
4) Perform Work within Controls
5) Provide Feedback and Continuous Improvement

Good catch on the NextStep as a booster, that's something I didn't even think about.:) It's pretty tight in the center, maybe I could have put the NS outboard and the PW center without the back.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC